270 CFX Flight Log

bigone5500

I'm going to start posting into this thread, information pertaining to flights of my 270 CFX. I don't want a bunch of threads floating around about one topic. If there is anything you would like to discuss with me about any of my entries, please refer to the thread in the General Hellicopter Chat, 270 CFX Flight Log Discussion. So here goes...

Captain's Log - 7-24-17:

Flew the heli for 4 minutes. Wind conditions were higher than I wanted but I needed to get some experience flying in it. I live very near the airport and Wunderground pulls weather data from their station which showed winds to be about 6 mph with gusts to about 10. There were more still spots than were not. I practiced my hovering skills and they are still lacking. The wind being high blew the heli about and tested me several times on recovering on what could have been crashes. I am assuming that while the wind was blowing it was causing me to have to use less collective and when the wind speed died down, the heli would fall and I would have to hit the cyclic hard to keep from smacking the ground. I came within a couple feet from the ground a few times. Hitting the cyclic hard and bringing it back to about 60% quickly was the save. When the heli would start climbing is when I would lower the cyclic and adjust accordingly. Today was also a day of firsts...well one first. I took off from a hard dirt spot to keep sand from blowing all over the inside of the canopy. At about T-:15, I started to bring it back to the take-off point and landed withing a few inches of the original spot. I was happy with that. I hit the throttle hold and disconnected the battery and headed back inside.

A lesson learned today which will take practice to get batter at is mind the wind speed and be prepared to adjust the controls accordingly.

Last edited:

bigone5500

Captain's log - 7-30-17
Flew yesterday in some high winds. Really didn't want to but already had everything out there. Gusts seemed to be around 10mph and were hard on the little heli. After about 3 1/2 minutes I called it quits. Almost lost control two times and keeping it in a controlled hover was impossible.

No wind while learning.

bigone5500

Captain's Log- 8-3-17

Today's flight started out great. No wind, not blazing hot, full battery. Lifted off and kept a steady hover. Today was the day to test out forward flight. I gave it a little forward cyclic and it headed out. I noticed that the heli was trying to drift to the left a bit so I corrected and began to turn it around. I have no idea what happened after that. The heli began to lean to the left and was headed towards my direction. I did not want that. I attempted fast correction and things got real bad. I should have hit the A switch which would have saved the heli and a $100 bill. But alas I forgot about that. I saw that it was going to plant hard in the ground so I killed the throttle and hit the throttle hold. So far I have to replace the skids, blades, one connecting rod for the blades, a servo, the main gear, and possibly the feathering shaft. I am going to replace the main shaft also as it has been in two crashes and I want that bit of doubt out of the way.

No wind while crashing.

Top Bottom