450 pro 3gx maiden flight then poof main blades flying!

Dizzle000

hey guys so i finally got my brand spanky 450 pro 3gx set up today and headed out to the baseball diamond up by my house to give flying this bird a shot. so i get everything all ready to go,hear goes my first spool up everything is great stable a little shaky not to bad, and we have lift off about a foot off the ground ( i have never really flown helis befor just an arttech falcon only hovering) so i bring it back down power down. wahoo first flight( sorta lol) i am super stoaked now finaly i have a nice heli and nice dx8 controller im gonan love this hobby and progress. so here goes second spool up everything is good hovering bout a foot and a half of the ground go to land, powering down and all of a sudden POOOOOF!!!!! my main blade so flying out like daggers. now i am like WTF just happened ,i go pick up the blades and notice that either it pulled the threads out of the main-shaft, or i had not put enough lock tight on the threads did the bolt vibrate loose or did i not tighten them up? now i am i have no idea honestly im sure it was my fault being so excited to fly i must have overlooked something or walked away for a sec and forgot. im just glad no one got hurt. ps i dont fly with people around just me . anyhow that my maiden flight story my entry into this hobby, it was fun for the 10 minutes it lasted .now im on the net buying a ton of spare parts and extras so that if this or something else happens i have the parts to be able to fix my heli and get back on the field. moral of my story is check check and double check everything..

Tony

Staff member
Because the feathering shafts are bare untreated steel, they put a LOT of oil on them. If you don't clean the bolts and threads with alcohol to remove the oil, then thread locker will not work. We have been seeing this more and more here lately with new birds or after a recent crash.

Congrats on the flight though!

Dizzle000

Good to know I checked the threads and they were intact gonna clean them with some break clean or rubbing alcohol thanks for the advise

Stambo

Congrats on the flight, bummer about the ending.
Did you do any other damage?
Great time to develop a pre flight checklist just like on a real aircraft.
I am sure I saw one on here somewhere, maybe Tony can help with that.
I always grab the rotor blades and make sure there is no in out movement in the blade grips, (battery unplugged) even after changing a battery, then check servo movement and direction etc.
This has saved my 500 as I had the wrong model selected and would have flown with ailerons reversed.

Dizzle000

Thanks stambo I will have to search for that list I was pretty lucky ,didn't damage to much got dirt in the thrust bearings ,so I have them all apart to clean them up and repack them with grease .checked my feathering shaft it's all good .I did bend one upper ball link so had to order some links and the only other piece I lost was the tiny washer that goes in between te blade grip and the main part of the head. I think I got lucky could have been worse. Sucks it happened so fast but I think half the fun is tinkering with them.

Top Bottom