Agile 5.5 Maiden

treff

At last I maidened my 5.5, I actually did it twice. The first time almost a disaster. Some how I had the tail reversed and it did about 3 complete
ground loops at amazing speed but remained upright, thank goodness. Second time I sort of lost confidence, the wind was gusting up to 50mph so I put it off
for an hour but after that I could not wait any longer. I set rates and expo on the tx to silly high numbers which was totally wrong for the conditions.
80 dual rates and 30 expo on everything. I did this in our back garden which is tiny and when I set the heli down it looked enormous. I checked every
thing again about 3 times to make sure and the gave it throttle. To say this heli purrs is not quite right it sort of hums and a great noise from the blades
as they begin to grab the air. It rose off the ground, I did not want to go to high just in case something went wrong and also the wind was gusting to about 30 mph.
It just sat there in the hover a foot off the ground. There was no tail wag at all. I gave rudder and it did the most stable piro I have ever seen. I go as far has saying
it was uncannily stable to the point of being weird. Even with the wind gusting and swirling around the heli did not move a fraction. I am totally amazed and delighted
not only from the stability point of view but from a noise level. The should have called this a hummer lol. Great stuff, fantastic heli and I'm looking forwards
to a little better weather and bigger field. Thanks to all who have given me help with the setting up. I am very grateful, cheers lads.

Update. Second flight bit of a disaster with tail gear stripping and a tip over. Not sure why this should happen everything was running smooth has silk. Blades took a bit of a beating
so will have to have the head off and check things out. I also noticed when I went to spool up the first time I could not get enough rpm to lift off flicking the gov backwards and forwards
gave me full throttle so I think I have something not quite right there. Anyway I think the blades will be okay the lawns is very soft. Strange noises coming from the torque tube bearings
so seems I may have to strip this down also. So, eventful to say the least. Cheers
Update to the update. Well, well, after a good inspection what I thought was a damaged drive was in fact a load of rubbish that the drive had some how sucked in. I do notice with this
heli any thing loose lying around is hoovered up lol. Checked the head and it looks like I got away scot free. Very lucky although I do not like the sound from the boom with my lack
of experience maybe that's the way they sound. So onwards and if I get time I'll try to do a little video of the next flight.
Just one little question what does the flashing red light mean on the Ikon. Is it the memory bank your in? I'm not sure.

Last update to the maiden flight. I now know why it felt ultra stable during the maiden. I was flying in the SL mode on the gyro. It felt really weird lol. No wonder when I did a slow piro
it did now move. Cheers.

Last edited:

treff

Thanks Lee. Learning a lot with this heli both flying and on the electronic side of things. You can sure tie yourself up with the mixing lol. One thing I have found with regards to flying is that in
flight mode one very, very smooth. when I go to idle up with throttle setting of 75 across the board I get up and down shake of the tail. It's not tail wag but up and down so I am not sure what
that is. I will increase the head speed a little to see what happens and give it another go when the weather improves lots of rain at the moment. Thanks again for all the help.

One thing I forgot to mention. I brought 2 dsmx sats from a company in China called Lemon. They were less than a quarter of the price from Spectrum and what I can see and have heard
about they are a lot better than the originals so that maybe worth a buy from anyone on the site. They also came in double quick time. I will buy more.

Last edited:

Lee

If its a slow wobble then increase the HS as you said.
If its a fast shake, reduce the cyclic gain.
I have been looking at those Sats.
Post up the link Treff

treff

Lemon DSMX 10-Channel + Lemon DSMX Satellite (DSM2 backward compatible) Hope this link works If not google Lemon dsmx sats. I was very impressed with this product
not only price but quality seems very good. Thanks again Lee. Yes a fast shake. I have never changed cyclic gain. Where is the setting in the TX ?

Update...................Yes found it section 12 in the Ikon set up. It says reduce 2% at a time until shakes stop. Thats great. I must also set the tail by increasing gyro until it wags then
reduce until it stops to get best gain. Cheers Lee. I'm getting there lol

Last edited:

treff

Just another update incase anyone else using Ikon/Brain FBL unit. I changed the set up now to a 500. Originally I set it
to 600 in section 12. I was not sure because it's a 5.5. The cyclic gain drops to 34 from 39. I tried to drop it in the 600 section
but shake was worse. Anyway still fine tuning. I'm doing this on the front lawn in the garden and getting some very strange looks.
I do not have the blue tooth gizmo so take the heli into the house and plug it in every time which makes the job a bit slow. Cheers

Slobberdog

treff drop Ian Contessa, Coolice a bell when you want the blue tooth module £26.99 delivered its so much easier with it, then £5 ish for the app

ian@coolice.co.uk here's his email if you want to get in touch.

- - - Updated - - -

if you go into advanced menus you should be able to dial down the gains in there, would keep it set up as 600 class more than 500, depends what size convention they used in the programming.

treff

Thanks Kev I will look at that. I have now dialed it down to 500 size heli and cured the shake and now back to being very, very smooth. I think though
there is a vibe from the torque tube or from one of the drives. I don't have enough experience to tell wether the sound is normal or if there is
something amiss. I will try to get a video done because I can see vibs in the tail fin on spool up but the fin is long and thin so I would expect
some vibs there. Cheers

Slobberdog

it would seem that the size just alters the pre-sets for gains, as I said above these can then be altered in the advanced menus

treff

Yes I could have left at the 600 size and just altered gain down to 34. Just the same. So I will try to do a video soon and get some opinion on the vibs
but weather not good at the moment for testing. Cheers Kev

stokke

Congrats on the maiden! The 5.5 is almost an exact replica of the 7.2 - only scaled down. My 7.2 also has some rattle in the TT, I haven't been able to get rid of it - and I have been in there two times now looking for a culprit. The bird flies nicely and I can usually only hear the rattle during spool up and spool down - so I don't mind it.

I have the shakes under 2000 rpm, but over this rpm it's OK and vibe free :D I haven't tweaked the gains yet (still stock 700 settings in the Ikon) - maybe I'll check it out later on. Your 550's ideal rpm range should be around 2500-2600 I'm guessing.

Good luck Treff - now let's see some video! :D

treff

Thanks for the info stokke, yes that sounds about right. Still awaiting some better weather here to get on with the tuning but what I have seen so far
is really good if not a bit intimidating when spooling up so your 7.2 must be even more so lol. It's a big step from 450 to 550, I did not anticipate the weight
difference lol and everything is quite a steep learning curve. Thanks again.

Top Bottom