Another tragedy

murankar

Staff member
Yes it is and the part that sickens me the most is that the media insists on calling these toys. I hope one day they call them what they are, machines.

callsign4223

Staff member
Beat me to it Uri, just saw this a minute ago. Very tragic and another testament to the dangers inherent in our hobby. This has it's perils just like any other hobby. The problem is that no one is going to think that race cars or guns or hang gliders are toys.

murankar

Staff member
This is true. Like I said before our media is trying to associate these models to a kiosk toy. If they continue with that association it gives them grounds to say all rc helicopters are dangerous toys and next thing you know they are banned. Now I did read another article on this topic that was more detailed. The pilot was an AMA member, flew at AMA sanctioned fields and events and was a skilled pilot. What is not know at this time is what caused the heli to do this.

pvolcko

Read the WSJ article linked in the pop-sci article. Apparently the person involved was 19 and his father was with him at the field as well as a couple others. The field is sanctioned by the local government and the AMA for model aircraft flight. He was a VP of a local flying club. He picked up the hobby from his father.

I cannot imagine how he told the mother. I can't imagine going on after witnessing something like that, much less it happening to your own son.

On the perception of these things being toys. While I'm sure the father and his son did not consider these things toys, in general RC anything suffers a perception problem driven mostly by the predominance of popular exposure to RC vehicles being cars. Cheap toy store ones at that. Planes and helis also contribute to it in that most people's exposure to them are the mall kiosks and Bass Pro Shops Christmas specials. Bought on a whim, then forgotten in a couple days or weeks until you are scavenging for batteries for the remote control to the TV.

Very few people are exposed to and appreciate the power and danger involved with large scale RC planes and helis. Flyers know it. Some in their families and some of their friends know it. But beyond that, if people are aware of the bigger models and the hobby in general, it is relegated to the "boys and their toys" paradigm by most everyone.

What is starting to modify that perception? Drones. People are seeing radio control planes and helicopters/multi-copters in a whole new light with the advent of unmanned war fighting and surviellance aircraft. Not exactly a great thing for us. On one hand we're seen as spending way too much money and time playing with toys. On the other we're part of a burgeoning culture of war and big brotherism. Or worse, high tech peeping toms flying high over the neighborhood to video someone sunbathing.

The point of this rant? With more news of incidents like this, coupled with the increased attention use of these types of aircraft platforms as drones is getting means one thing for sure: more and more attention is going to fall on us and our hobby, and they will regulate the fun and excitement and low cost of entry out of it. Each of us needs to be a spokesman for the hobby and be proactive in addressing the concerns of those we encounter in regard to all of this, before the politicians and media grab hold of it and drive the narrative.

Lee

He was an Align sponsored pilot. I you look at his youtube channel, he got skillz. So sad, but people have to start realising the dangers of larger helis. These are basically inverted flying lawnmowers.
Last week, one of the presenters of The RC Today show severed three fingers while trying to tach his 700. He was holding an optical tac over the heli while at full rpm on the ground, when it lifted and hit his hand.
These are not toys, they are lethal weapons in the hands of many people, some competent and some not so. It doesn't matter how good you are, something mechanical can go wrong. Always fly a good distance from yourself and others. A link broke on my 600 the other day, nose diving it into the ground. Lucky it was only 6ft up and nowhere near anyone, but it could have been different if i was doing smack 3D 10ft in front of my face.
Be careful guys, and don't get complacent, even with something the size of a 450. They can still do a lot of harm.
Thoughts go to the friends and family of the young man.

Slobberdog

I agree with you there Lee, the article I read said small toy Heli with 2 ft blades, my reckoning that was a 600 maybe bigger, I have learnt a lot in the last six months and safety is something you must always keep in mind, these machines have the equivalent of swords attached to the rotor head, not something you want flailing around in front of your nose.

Tony

Staff member
I have been watching some of his videos, and unlike a lot of people, he hardly ever got close to him. He is a big move guy. When he does bust into a tick tock or whatever, he is still 40-50' out.

This was a tragic accident due to mechanical failure, I can assure you. This should be a lesson to everyone, these things can turn on you at any moment. One little failure and it's coming right at you.

This tragedy has had me rethinking the safety rules that I have here on this forum. I will be making a post shortly with the new updated rules on what we will, and will not help with. I just banned a member that helped in making me realize that safety is key, and this tragedy is just another great reason to implement the new safety rules.

pvolcko

I went to a local fun fly last weekend where a number of pro pilots were in attendance. Most everyone kept the heli a safe distance away, at least while I was there watching. All except one guy. Flew for team A Main. Increadible flying skills, no doubt, but he was flying literally 10 ft and less away from himself and 1-10ft off the deck with a 700 size heli. While impressive, it was also one of the scariest things I've ever personally witnessed (about second only to a DE .50 cal pistol being pointed squarely at me... another story for another time), and I was another 20 ft back from him. There were pro pilots standing in the staging area between where I was and where the pilot was, waiting their turn to go up. If you watched them you could see them back off or "jump" a little at times during this guy's flights. They were 10-15ft back from the pilot so roughly 20ft back from the "action". This was full on smack 3D with a bit of big air mixed in. Aggressive stuff being done on the deck at high speed and close distance. If he dumb thumbed it at the wrong time or something broke loose or accidentally caught some ground... it could have been disastrous. I'm amazed one of the event organizers didn't tell him to keep it at a safer distance, especially since there were no screens to prevent a model from flying right into the spectators and there were pilots in the staging areas all the time. It may have been a buzz kill move and may have lowered the adrenaline inducing quality of this guy's flights, but it would have been the right thing to do.

rchelipilot

I am praying JESUS will comfort the family and friends through this.
Looking back at my work history, I have been to at least 100 safety meetings and one thing is certain.
Accidents are going to happen.
A few people don't like my for pointing out their recklessness, and I don't care.
I f you see me doing something unsafe, please let me know.
We can still have fun, safely.
Stan

Tony

Staff member
Because I was alone at the field today, I didn't fly my 600 just because of this. Just didn't feel right, you know?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I had an e mail from our local align piolet Rich Sabin today. He new the young piolet personally from Beeing on the team. This is a tragedy to say the least. My heart go out to his family. I hope everyone looks at his or her own flying policy's and evaluates there safety practices!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No, just what I read in the first post. It was more or less, this happened to a friend if mine. Lets all be carefull at the flying field.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the e mail.

Hello Gentlemen,

As I'm sure you saw on the news, Yesterday in Brooklyn a young man was killed by his helicopter that he was flying. The helicopter partially decapitated him. He was a very good friend of mine that I've known for many years as he sponsored by the Align brand like myself. So please while at the field this weekend please remember this young life who was taken way to soon doing what he loved to do. Thank you.

Regards,

Richard Sabin

pvolcko

Guess it is starting in NYC already. Local rep for the area this happened in is calling for a ban on heli flying in all city parks until a review of the accident is conducted and mitigration regulations or practices can be established. HEard it on the latest RCHN. Hate knee jerk politician reactions like this. Hugely rare event now being used as a catalyst to halt peoples' enjoyment of the hobby with every possibility that this will simply be a ban forevermore. Assuming that it will be voted into place. Given the gruesome nature of what happened and the low number of people, relatively speaking, that will be impacted... pretty good bet it will.

RCHN V 2.0 EP102: Episode 102 » RC Heli Nation

Last edited:
Top Bottom