Trucks Anyone know how to get out stripped screws?

Newbie-31

I'm taking apart my Revo transmission and It's come apparent that my friend didn't used the right size the last time he did it.. anyone know how to get them out without damaging anything..?

Tony

Staff member
Best way is to use a dremel tool and cut a slot in them. Then find somewhere that sells a stainless bolt kit.

Newbie-31

I spent a good 10-15 minutes trying to get it in.. but It just didn't work.. made the mistake of trying to drill it out.. got maybe a 1/16 of n inch from the bottom and couldnt get any further, not sure how, but these are the toughest screws EVER...

Newbie-31

I looked for a different dremel.. still took me a long time. Got them out, and I'm ordering the stainless kit off of ebay.

Tony

Staff member
Hm, are you sure it's getting power from the starter? Do you have a separate glow plug igniter?

Tony

Staff member
Okay, here are a lot of questions. What temp is the glow plug? What fuel are you using and what percent? How old is your fuel? How good is your compression? Does the engine spin over easily without the glow plug installed? Are your clutch bearings good? Is the clutch bell blue in color? Where is your needles set?

I will leave it with those questions for now. We will get this thing started and running one way or another. It may need a new piston and sleeve.

Newbie-31

Traxxas top fuel 20% med heat couple months. It's pretty hard to pull. With plug out its semi easy. I wouldn't know. I have the low and idle needles set where my friend had it, high is 4 turns out I believe. I've gone between 2.5-4.5

Tony

Staff member
2.5 is way too lean and it will get hot. Break in setting is 4 turns out, so I would probably start at 3.75 turns out on the top. The bottom should be flush with the body (not the arm, the body). I don't see the glow plug being an issue anymore but the fuel may be an issue. I have never used Traxxas fuel. I'm an O'Donnel fan and used it a LOT when I was racing. However, Blue Thunder Sport Formula is made for these trucks (RTR) and is what I used in all of my videos on the Traxxas trucks. But, lets say the fuel is okay as it should be.

When you have the igniter on the plug, it's glowing almost white hot. But once you remove it, it requires the engine to run hot enough to keep it lit. If it's pulling in too much fuel, it will cool it off way too fast. This would indicate a rich condition. Again, I would start at 3.75 turns out and try it. If that doesn't work, lean it out 1 hour (look at a clock) and do it again. What ever you do, don't go more than 1/2 turn from 3.75 out (3.25 min). This is almost to the point to where I would have to look at it if the needle settings are not the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, you may have this already, but here is the page from Traxxas.

http://traxxas.com/node/50983

Tony

Staff member
I know this is going to end up being something simple lol. It always is in these situations. But without looking at it, I'm all out of ideas. check to make sure your carb is secured tight and there is no air leaking around it. Make sure there are no holes in your fuel lines, make sure the head to block gasket is good. Make sure the back plate gasket is good. We know your glow plug is good and that it's getting fuel, so I'm not sure what else would cause it to not run.

Top Bottom