Beautiful day of flying

pvolcko

So got out and did a bunch of flying yesterday. 45 degrees, almost dead calm, mostly clear skies. Beautiful conditions!

First out, my DraganFlyer III quad: Was doing good for a few minutes but then tried to do a banked turn. Mistake. This quad has horrible yaw rate, and when it does start to come around it is slow to stop the yaw. I got it into the bank and was going to yaw around on it, but it wouldn't yaw fast enough. And when you yaw a quad it slows one set of blades, so depending on the direction and rate of the yaw you either lose elevator or aileron response too. In this case I lost aileron control so I couldn't flatten out to recover. Bam into the ground from 12 feet up. Broke a couple motor mounts. Got parts on order from Canada.

Second out, nano cpx: Great fun. Was flying slow and fast circuits for a few batteries. Last battery tried some flips and getting to inverted. Flips while moving were fine. Stationary flips didn't work out too well (should have tried at higher altitude for more recovery room). Getting inverted was fun, but crashed each time. No damage. Love this little heli.

Then came the 550 X Pro: First I forgot to put the gyro selection switch back to heading hold so when I took off tail was drifting right quite a bit (have the tail link length set for neutral at reference, not steady hold in hover). Took me two take-offs and two landings to realize what was going on. Thought I had accidently bumped in some rudder trim. Once that was solved I went through two batteries of hovering, orientation training, and tail in flight. Third battery, I moved to a different piloting position where I had a good open stretch to fly across my position and did some narrow circuit flying. First forward circuit flying with it. I'm very impressed with the stability and control of this larger heli. I was afraid I'd have a difficult time controlling the speed and altitude of this thing in circuit flight. Altitude did prove a bit difficult, but speed was not at all an issue. And most of my altitude issues were when I pulled back to cut some forward speed and the tendency to climb as a result. No crashes. I'm a happy camper. :)

pvolcko

Gotta get a decent camera first, Marius. :)

I try to get my speed demons out with the nano cpx and in the sim.

pvolcko

So had a nice day yesterday and took the 300X repaired (landing skids only, thankfully) over the weekend and got it up in the air today.

No video this time, but I did my first stationary flips (loop type and roll type) outside the sim. Stationary should be in quotes. Some were pretty close to stationary, but many were large loops. Toward the end of the first battery I smacked the ground again (too much positive pitch too early). Came down flat on the skids again, this time very hard. Broke the new skids into pieces and also had a boom strike. Using stock wood blades so the strike wasn't bad. Just a minor dent. No warping or distortion from the looks of things. Main blade tip shattered so replaced them (anticipating the need I had bought spares). Spun it up and it looks okay. Certainly flyable. So that's what I did. :) Back to flipping, this time a bit more controlled and no close calls or crashes.

There may be something slightly off in the head as I'm seeing what looks like some minor blade tracking issues. When I had the main blades off I spun it up on the bench to check for bent main and tail shaft and those looked good. May have bent the spindle so I'll take that apart and check. Also make sure a link didn't get its length altered slightly in the crash.

murankar

Staff member
That would be the feathering shaft. You very well could have bent it. Normally it does bend on a boom strike. Good luck oh and video please.

Ken Jackson

Get some carbon fiber blades as soon as your comfortable. It will help with your flips.

Ken

I bought a head (sweat) band cut a slot in it. I basically turn my camera on recording and pop the headband with camera over my head. I'm sure I look like an idiot but it sure works. And it cost $3.99. I've learned more watching my own videos then anything else. As a matter of fact you will try things you see yourself doing on your video and try it on the sim and presto you'll have the manouver down.

pvolcko

I have vids for this bird over in my 300X flights thread. flight 7 from today is at: 300X Flights

Flight 9 will be uploading and posted tonight too.

I'm sure I look like an idiot with my camera rig too. GoPro on a head mount. :)

murankar

Staff member
Hey I tape my phone to a wood block and shove the wood into the hat sizing band. Its a jerry rig from heck but works.

taizi

i had a great weekends flying myself, blue skies 20 degrees light wind, went nuts with the V120 preparing for flips
also got my 450 up and was having a good play, really getting comfortable with now, however i did notice a real rookie mistake i'd made, for some reason the last time i did something with the tail blades i somehow put them on the wrong way round (no wonder i needed soo much trim), it flew ok on the field but later i changed them round and re-set the tail, strangely it flies alot better now hahahaha

pvolcko

I did that on one of my helis recently. Caught it on the bench, luckily. :)

Been a stellar week and weekend here. I don't recall a better stretch of weather in the last year or two. Sadly my 300X has been in pieces a fair chunk of it. 550X has been flying though, just with a lot more care and nervousness. No flips or rolls with it yet. Starting to do some higher altitude, higher speed banked turns with it. I need to find an alternate flyign location for it and my in-build 700. Not enough space to be comfortable doing anything but stop, turn, go, stop, turn, go and some moderate bank stall turns.

taizi

we spend soo much time setting these things up that sometimes we overlook the really simple things, still all sorted and looks like the weather is going to be good from now on, so i will try and progress from bank turns and basic flying with the 450, work up the balls to flip the 120 and get some new batts for my 250

happy flying everyone

Top Bottom