Best flight todate

treff

I went out this morning with the intention of doing my usual hovering practice.
Nose in, Side in then the usual controlled landing. I went down to a little piece of land
near the house. Well I did a bit of the hovering practice then decided to try for a circuit.
Sent the heli out and up. Circuits, circuits, I chased the bloody heli around our little housing
complex for almost 5 minutes. I did 2 complete circuits over trees houses and everything else totally
out of control. I think the 3gx System kept it in the air AND KEEPING MY THUMBS OFF THE STICKS. I nearly had a heart attack thinking of the damage I was going to have to pay when the damn thing finally came down.
Then I though bugger this, I took my thumb of the rudder and throttle and flew it like a fix wing. Plenty
of speed, the faster it went the more responsive it was in the turn. I turned nose in towards me and pushed the nose down
and my oh my that heli moved through the sky like a bullet from a barrel. It went past me in a streak, I let it go pulled and banked, then straightened up and it was coming back. My brain shouted PANIC STATIONS, then I remembered the other thumb, lowered the throttle and landed with very shaking hands. I put the shaking down to the cold weather lol. Don't ask for video my brain will not cope but this will keep me going for days just remembering that fast pass and banked turn. WOW! Best enjoyed flight with a helicopter to date.
Cheers

Last edited:

Slobberdog

Whoa that was a bit of a ride Treff, nice to see you got it down in one piece though, that's got to be progress, bet you have enough adrenalin left to keep you going for hours.

treff

HI Kev, Yes lots of the brown stuff flowing LOL I went out again a few minutes ago and did the same thing. It's not really controlled flying it is sort of
10% me and 90% luck. This time managed to keep it in the confines of the small field except for one time and that was again very knee trembling LOL.
I sort of know what to do but the heli always seem one step in front of me so I'm sort of battling for control. When I take me thumbs off the sticks
it flies beautiful, soon as I start dabbling things go South. Lady luck was on my side today, tomorrow, who knows. I just need to feel in control
and I need to stop giving stupid inputs. Trouble is most of the time my bloody thumbs are trembling so bad the heli is up and down like it's on elastic. LOL
Cheers

Last edited:

Slobberdog

These are the changes I have made in the software for my bird, and she feels responsive enough and yet still docile enough for me to fly with comfortably

Flight Condition control up to 60 - 70

Simulated flybar up to 65

cyclic pitch dampening to 40

and I am running 10% expo on aileron and elevator had it at 22% when I first tried expo on my Dx8 but it was to numb feeling.

treff

Thanks for the info Kev. Been out again, best make use of this sunny weather LOL I'm getting there but very slowly. I noticed that the heli has developed a fault
sort of rapid judder up and down. I thought it was my thumbs but it is definitely something in the heli. I hope it is not a servo but we will see. Had a good third battery but
was not so adventurous this time. I did just one circuit and I am training my self to turn nose in every time so that's sort of fun LOL. The judder is small but noticeable like if tour thumbs are jittery.
I will have to strip something down and have a butchers. Cheers

Slobberdog

Check to make sure everything is tight, including the feathering shaft and head block, also all of your servo balls, I had one start coming out of my 130x swash and displayed the same trait

EyeStation

Whoa Treff, That first flight description had me sweating too. I have not had a situation like that around properties. I have sent the heli on a flight and watched it get further and further away, and then did the same mental approach, Fly it like a plane.
Don't ya wish you could bottle that rush though?
Happy to hear everything stayed in one piece throughout your flights.

treff

Cheers EyeStation. Yes first flight today was more than a big rush. Flying and running at the same time not recommended especially when your an old fart like me LOL
Great fun though really enjoyed the rush. Now to sort out my little judder problem. I will go round everything and check tightness.

Tony

Staff member
Moved to the correct section. Please post all flight stories into the Flight Stories section. The RCH Lounge is for off topic chat only. Thanks.

Lee

Nice one Treff, Its flights like that, that can go two ways. One into the dirt, or two it breaks the stalemate and moves you up to the next level. I think the second is what you have just encountered. :D

treff

Cheers Lee, yes very good day flying still on the high LOL but i knows tomorrow will be even better LOL.
All ways look on the bright side of life. Sounds like a good title for a song. LOL

murankar

Staff member
Congrats treff. You have been plagued and now your moving past that. Great job keep going and don't stop.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

BAdair

Glad you were able to keep a hold of it and get it back down!
You are hooked now, this is the rush of heli's much more than planes, I flew planes before heli's and said I would never fly heli's, was scared of them and also did not think I would ever learn to fly them because they are not directional like a plane.
Once I was able to get a flight in on a heli like you described I was hooked, the rush and the "pucker factor" I call it, lol was intense. I now have more heli's than planes, and don't have to drag a trailer to the field to fly just throw one in the truck and go..lol

Glad to hear you sorted out the issues and have it flying now, Keep it up!

treff

Cheers murankar and BAdair yes brilliant day yesterday. I went to sleep re-flying and chasing the heli around LOL. Great fun
Looking forwards to todays flight if the weather holds.

stokke

Great to hear you had a good experience (for a change?) Treff! Good for you buddy :D Keep up the flying!

treff

Cheers stokke, yes on the good road now mate, on the yellow brick road and we'er off to see that wizard. LOL

Ken Jackson

I went out this morning with the intention of doing my usual hovering practice.
Nose in, Side in then the usual controlled landing. I went down to a little piece of land
near the house. Well I did a bit of the hovering practice then decided to try for a circuit.
Sent the heli out and up. Circuits, circuits, I chased the bloody heli around our little housing
complex for almost 5 minutes. I did 2 complete circuits over trees houses and everything else totally
out of control. I think the 3gx System kept it in the air AND KEEPING MY THUMBS OFF THE STICKS. I nearly had a heart attack thinking of the damage I was going to have to pay when the damn thing finally came down.
Then I though bugger this, I took my thumb of the rudder and throttle and flew it like a fix wing. Plenty
of speed, the faster it went the more responsive it was in the turn. I turned nose in towards me and pushed the nose down
and my oh my that heli moved through the sky like a bullet from a barrel. It went past me in a streak, I let it go pulled and banked, then straightened up and it was coming back. My brain shouted PANIC STATIONS, then I remembered the other thumb, lowered the throttle and landed with very shaking hands. I put the shaking down to the cold weather lol. Don't ask for video my brain will not cope but this will keep me going for days just remembering that fast pass and banked turn. WOW! Best enjoyed flight with a helicopter to date.
Cheers

Awesome story. Just reading this I felt the rush. You will have days like this that seem almost magical. Just remember on the bad days not to push it. Don't try to run a batter all the way down when things aren't so great. Congrats on the shaky feeling. I usually only feel that when I'm in the air.

Ken

Top Bottom