Complete Flybar Head Setup

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Complete Flybar Head Setup

Hello everyone, The flybar head setup video is finally here. In this video, I to into more depth on the head than I do in any other video I have made. From adjusting the swash mix, to adjusting the links on the head, to leveling the swash, it's all covered in this video.

If you have any questions, post them below. This is a pretty long video, but it's worthwhile if you are just starting out.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

docorgan

:wavey:I have a 450 clone and I have gone through your video twice. Excellent video by the way. When I get to checking cyclic pitch my elev. is dead on but the aileron is not zero at mid stick and consequently has more positive than negative cyclic pitch. What is my problem??? everything else is dead on. I'm checking this with the throttle at mid stick. I can adjust aileron trim to zero the aileron at mid stick then everything is ok. I have not yet attempted to fly this heli.
Thanks for your help.
John

Tony

Staff member
Hey John, if you are using a digital pitch gauge, then that is your issue. When using a digital gauge, you MUST ONLY check the blades on the ONE direction of the helicopter that you calibrated the gauge to. If you calibrated it just in front of the main shaft on the frame, then you can ONLY check the pitch with the blades pointing straight forward. If you try to check it somewhere else on the heli, the angle is going to be different.

If, when you trim out the aileron, it has the same pitch, then you are setup perfect.

What I do, and what the Align manual states to do is, check your aileron pitch with the blade sticking out the front of the heli. Once you have that perfect, then just take the number on the aileron and put it straight over to the elevator. So if your aileron is set to 65% in teh swash menu, then set your elevator to the same 65%.

Sounds like you are very close to putting this bird in the air. If there is anything else that we can help with, just let us know. We are here to help. Oh, and we MUST have pictures of the bird and a video of the maiden :biggrin1:s

docorgan

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply to my comment. in your video you calibrated the pitch gauge on the front frame of the Heli but then turned the Heli 90 degrees and checked the pitch with the blades perpendicular to the frame. So your comment doesn't make sense. Please explain.

John

Tony

Staff member
It was after I did this video that I realized that the digital pitch gauge couldn't be used on any other orientation on the heli other than where the gauge was calibrated. One of these days I will remake this video.

Ktrpilot

This is a fantastic video and answered alot of my questions and cleared alot of other bits and pieces up for me. i watched it twice and took down 4 pages of notes. it will go a long way to helping me eventually get my bird in the air.

Thankyou.

Tony

Staff member
It's my pleasure KTR! I do apologize for the long video, but I couldn't shorten it anymore without breaking the video up. I tried to do the video where you can fire it up on the computer and work along with me. Just pause the video where you need to.

As always, if you need help, all you have to do is ask. That is what we are here for.

wtowns

Hey Tony
Thanks heaps for that video, that was the most complete one on setting up a flybar head I've seen and exactly what I needed. Is there any way of leveling that flybar if you don't have a locking tool...a bit like using the zip tie for the swashplate...it will save me waiting for one if I have to order on the net?
Thanks for all your help
Cheers
Warren

Tony

Staff member
You can actually just eyeball the fly bar level and you will be fine. I just made that tool for the video so o wouldn't have to hold it in the video.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks sneezy! I need to take my own advice and get my flybar helicopter back in the air. I miss flying it. Glad I could help.

Top Bottom