600 Crash on lift off

Ron Stewart

Nedd
some help figuring out what happened! I purchased a used trex 550 stretched to 600mm. I put an old set of align ds615 servos on it, castle creations 90 talon esc, and an old Brain fbl. set normal mode hs to 1950, in preflight check out I noticed that the swash plate response to tilting the heli around seemed to be very slow, but the servo response to stick imput seemed to be normal, so I attempted to take off! A soon as heli got light on skids it tipped over hard and crashed. Brain was factory defaulted and reset correctly for this heli. I was using a ds 12 jeti radio. I would like any help on suggestions on how to figure out what caused the tip over?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Ron. You mention a used trex-550. Try changing out your Brain FBL unit double sided tape. They do get old and vibration is not a good thing. Just my :2c:

Ron Stewart

Hey there Ron. You mention a used trex-550. Try changing out your Brain FBL unit double sided tape. They do get old and vibration is not a good thing. Just my :2c:
Thanks for the advice, but I figured out the problem, orientation of the FBL was backwards!

Smoggie

I was just going to say, check that the direction of correction on the swash (tilt the heli and make sure that the swash corrects against direction of tilt). This along with checking tail correction direction, and correct response to stick input is absolutely essential prior to any maiden flight. Failure to get this correct ends badly every time.

Ron Stewart

I was just going to say, check that the direction of correction on the swash (tilt the heli and make sure that the swash corrects against direction of tilt). This along with checking tail correction direction, and correct response to stick input is absolutely essential prior to any maiden flight. Failure to get this correct ends badly every time.
Yes I checked stick response, it was correct, I checked tail response, it was correct. I checked swash response it was responding very slowly so I couldn't really tell that it wasn't moving correctly, Something told me not to fly but I went ahead and tried it anyway and then of course the crash. So I checked the swash movement side by side with a heli that I new was working correctly, That is when I could see that the swash was not moving correctly! Thanks for your response though!

Top Bottom