Damage report

murankar

Staff member
Its not so bad at this point, got all the bad parts off and kind of reassembled for the rime being.

Need to replace:

Boom
Boom Support
Flybar
Feathering shaft
Canopy
Main blades
Tail blades (just so I can have something better than the EXI ones)
Tail Fin (could use my last EXI one)
Need a screw kit for this heli so I can replace the bolt that I sheared off in the main gear and one in the main rotor hub "jesus bolt".

Right now it looks like its going to be right around my estimate.

Surprising enough I did not bend the main shaft.

murankar

Staff member
Yeah, this is close to $90 bucks. I need a second job for all that.

the real cost is in the blades and canopy. the rest of it is like $50

murankar

Staff member
One of the mounting holes is really weak. Outside of that the bottom was tore up and some minor cracking.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Last edited:

Ken Jackson

If you can live with the canopy, use CA.. get 6 bucks hobbypartZ blades.. Carbon fibre. That'll save you a bunch. I flew then for a year.. Had stocked up on them. That saves you 34 Bucks right there :)
Like these

EXI-450 Carbon Fibre Main Blade for Electric 450-class RC Helicopter (325mm-Yellow)

Or these
EXI-450 Carbon Fiber Main Blade for Electric 450 RC Helicopter (325mm)

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Do you find the cheaper blades to be less effective on 3D flying. I know they fly OK but they seemed to me to have more flex then better blades. I still have a set of the first ones you showed there, I guess I should try them again, its been a while.

murankar

Staff member
I know with the exi blades you really have to do some work. You need to ensure they are balanced and cog is the same on both blades. In some cases you would be better off to buy 3 or 4 sets and pair them yourself.

I have many flights with those blades and yes they work. My problem is I really like how the revolutions perform over the exi.

My wife and I are discussing the repair process now. I may have to piece it together over a couple paydays but it will get built.

Now its time to get the exi back in the air just for times like this. That kit sucks compared to the Protos.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Do you find the cheaper blades to be less effective on 3D flying. I know they fly OK but they seemed to me to have more flex then better blades. I still have a set of the first ones you showed there, I guess I should try them again, its been a while.

Their Carbon Fibre blades have come out pretty well for me... Yes like URI said, the fibre glass ones need some balancing for sure. And yes the revolution, Radix, CY, SAB, Maverikk , even align will perform very well

But for when I was REALLY CRASHING like every thrid flight, I had these EXI blades. Yes they are a bit heavier than Align.. And they flew a bit more. But not near as much to cause any issues in flying (boom strikes and all) ..

As far as 3D performance goes. I am not a very advanced 3D pilot. I can throw it around here and there, and on these blades, the bird was slower to respond .. but that helped me a bit. Yes you will get what you pay for :) its just that , I went through pairs like candy. lol so it saved me money then :)

murankar

Staff member
For what you pay for those blades they are good. For learners like myself and many others the slower is better.

Now i flew somewhere around 5 or 6 sets if these things and never did a cog or weight check on them. I did however balanced them before installing.

By the time I started flying the revolutions I had already upgraded my gyro. I will never know (maybe) if I had issues from cog or weight, which could have been causing vibrations. I had a tail wag on my first gyro that I could not get rid of.

Just know that the blades will do there job for a beginner. They are cheap and do just fine. For me its a preference thing that I need to get over till I get better.

P.s. I just realized I can run an ikon with my current rx. Good deal, so the radio is now mostly setup on the er9x firmware and I like that I can do everything on the PC and then just flash it over. I got the sub trims set at 90° to the servo body. Once I get the main shaft set back up I will check the linkages for 90°.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
beautiful!!! Man! You need an IKON on that bird! you will see a NIGHT and Day difference. Not to mention the rotatiung parts wil be lower and a lighter head! :D

murankar

Staff member
I have been watching videos and reading. I guess from what I found us that the ikon will connect to a full receiver via the supplied cables. T plus is that the fysky rx has telemetry built it and it is a full rang rx. This gives the same affect as two satellite rxs. My radio would only need the add in screen or the mod to display telemetry on the radio screen.

Top Bottom