Finally got the circuits with 450 DFC Pro!

DAL2855

Banned
I flew circuits tonite for 3 full batteries without a single crash or even close to a crash. Granted, I was taking it really slow, As I only flew about 10-12 circuits all together over 3 batteries! But hey about 2-3 times I even had the bird into a full nose-in orientation and my sim training I automatically gave it forward elevator and let it fly past me into a tail-in orientation, kicked the tail sideways and go around again! Man I'm so proud of myself! Especially for not losing it when it went full nose in on me!!!

EyeStation

Way to go. I know what these steps are like, and you got me beat! You say 3 batteries for about a dozen circuits? That seems like a lot of batteries, no? Or maybe really HUGE circuits. Congrats on the next level of confidence.

DAL2855

Banned
No just taking it really slow right now until I get the hang of it! My flying field here at the house isn't all that big so I really have to take it slow so I don't run into any houses or trees right now until I really get the hang of it! But I'm getting there!

danhampson

Congratulations mate. Circuits were where I was struggling and panic was the main reason for putting her in. Your doing it the right way take it slow and keep focused.
Look forward to seeing some video, preserver and it will all come together in the end.

DAL2855

Banned
I wish I could do some video, but don't have anyone to run the camera for me, so I'd be stuck with using the lappy webcam and dunno how well the video would turn out. I might try it just too see. As I've stated many times before, I'm stuck doing everything on my own! Really sucks that I don't have any local flying buddies! I dunno though, I might have sparked some interest the other day when some people saw me flying the 550! Now all their kids and hubby want a helicopter now! So I get blamed for starting something lol!

danhampson

Lol. ive had the same thing people asking about them and they were interested until they asked the price tag (i was flying my protos at the time).
What i have found is that the hobby isnt as hard as people first make out its just practice, and being able to see past the crash/repair bill.
Keep at it Mike you will find once you can nail those circuits you can go higher up and start trying other things.
Well done again and happy flying.

DAL2855

Banned
I had it up at about 100ft for 3 solid batteries also before attempting the circuits just flying around all over the place to try and get comfortable with that kind of altitude. It's rather hard to see at that altitude lemme tell ya! Course, it was rather cloudy too. But I think if it were sunny, that would make it even harder to see. But who knows! LOL!

treff

Great stuff. I'm still afraid to get over 6 foot LOL Keep up the good work and stay out of the ground.

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah Exactly Dan! That's why I'm trying to get more comfortable with being up at the higher altitudes! I've pretty much mastered the Flips and Rolls in the sim and am anxious to try them IRL! Just can't get my thumbs to cooperate! My mind says you can do it, but my thumbs say otherwise lol!

danhampson

ive been trying to do loops on the sim since i got it and tried it for real last week (and nailed them), ive been practicing flips and rolls on the sim but the weather isnt cooperating at the moment (winds are really high here at the mo), so its looking like lots more sim time until the weather changes.
I think that getting that bit higher gives you more confidence to start to try different thing out, my list is flips, rolls and stall turns (i keep crashing on the sim, so im not going to try those for real until i can do them 100% on the sim)

Last edited:

DAL2855

Banned
What are the stall turns? I'm not too familiar with the names of all of the maneuvers. Is that the passes, doing a 180 with the tail at the top and coming back down on another pass again? I can do those pretty well in the sim, just don't have enough room here at the house to do them. Will have to go to a bigger field to try those!

danhampson

Forward flight go to do a loop but just make the heli go straight up as the heli looses speed and stalls apply rudder until the nose is pointing to the ground and as you gain speed pull back on the elev and increase the collective.
this isnt my video but it shows what a stall turn is.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah that's what I thought you were talking about! Yeah I do those pretty well in the sim! Just don't have a big enough area here at the house to try them! Need a bigger flying field!

DAL2855

Banned
Did not know that Tony! Thanks! I've heard of the HammerHead, just didn't know what it was lol! BTW, just ordered me 4 new Zippy 3S 2200mah Lipos from HK and an Orange AR620 RX and got some more Deans connectors on ebay for my new batteries! And I got all the parts ordered for the 550! Now just play the waiting game! Found out last night that all three of my 3S Lipo's have a bad cell in them.

DAL2855

Banned
Just flew some circuits about 70 ft in the air, about 100 yds long and 50 yds wide, doing some FFF and Jeez this thing is fast! Almost scary fast! Almost can't keep up with it and maintain orientation! I flew about 5 or 6 laps nonstop, then when I went to stop, I pulled back a little too hard on the elevator and stood it straight in the air! Lost Orientation for just a split second, then I just pushed forward elevator, nosed over and took off again going around! Man this 450 is a blast now that I'm finally learning something besides hovering all the time!!! Had to get up that high to make sure I was over top of all buildings and tree tops in the general vicinity of where I'm flying. I really need to find me a bigger field to fly in!

Top Bottom