First Flips and Rolls this evening!

DAL2855

Banned
The first roll I did was completely unintentional, I was on my way back down, coming back tail-in, and dunno what happened, if my thumb was leaning on the right aileron, or what. But all of a sudden, I saw it go inverted as it's coming backwards at me, so instantly, I went neg pitch and right aileron and brought it right back right side up!!! I was like, man I gotta try that again! So I hit full right aileron, neg pitch and right on around she went! Thought I had gotten it on camera, but the camera was looking way too low to see it. I will try again tomorrow to get it on video. Then after church, I took it back up again and started doing some more rolls and Piroutte's, then I thought, well if I can do rolls, why not attempt a front flip! So full forward elevator and over she went, neg pitch and right on around! I did probably 7-8 front flips and several more rolls! Only a couple of my rolls got kinda hairy, but I'm getting the hang of them! Alot of practice in the sim is finally starting to pay off big time!

I can hardly believe that only two days ago, all I could do is hover. Now I'm flying circuits, front flips and rolls! Even flying the high, fast circuits too! Man this little thing is fast when she gets going!

danhampson

Wow. Sounds like you where having some fun. Shame about the video. Well done mike hope you catch it on video next time.
The wind has dropped here, so I'm hoping to get out later today to try some of those flips

DAL2855

Banned
Yeah I was having a blast! Like I said, that first roll happened by complete accident. Luckily I was already in ID1 mode when it went inverted on me and I reacted perfectly when I saw it go inverted and brought it right back up again!

DAL2855

Banned
I tried too, but the camera was looking too low and you couldn't see the heli at all. Tried again this morning, but again it was too low. You were able to see one flip, but not all the great. It was too far away, camera wasn't zoomed in well enough to really be able to see it that good. I really need to find someone to operate the camera while I fly!

EyeStation

Sounds like you are nailing this stuff Mike. Good job on attacking it right away after the unintentional.
Very impressed.

murankar

Staff member
I use my phone that is taped to a piece of wood. The bit of wood at the bottom of the mount is shoved into the adjustment band of a ball cap. I have to wear the hat back wards for it to work.

I also had to add a bit of foam that is formed into a wedge to give the phone a slight down angle. I have it set almost perfect to see what I see.

My wife has done some filming but it is a huge inconvenience because she watches the kids when I fly. She is more of a spotter for me.

DAL2855

Banned
I have the new camera I picked up at a yard sale mounted to the bill of one of my hats, but just haven't figured out yet, the correct angle that I have to wear it for it to see exactly what I'm looking at. The second attempt was a little better, but the batteries died on the camera so now have to try it again!

DAL2855

Banned
Well, I figured after I successfully recovered it from the unintentional one, heck I now know that I can do it. So I started doing them intentionally and now have been doing them all day today! Have only had a couple that were pretty ugly and took me a few seconds to recover it. But hey I gotta learn sometime!

Top Bottom