Misc Good Starter Kit For Newcomers

bigone5500

A coworker is interested in getting a Quadcopter. He has nothing and I don't know what to recommend. But from what I read nost people go with FrSky as it's cheaper but I am unsure of the reliability. I guess it's probably good as a lot of pro pilots use it. Can someone direct me to a good starter kit that has Tx and quad? I think he may be most interested in a 5" one but would probably be happy with whatever.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
A coworker is interested in getting a Quadcopter. He has nothing and I don't know what to recommend. But from what I read nost people go with FrSky as it's cheaper but I am unsure of the reliability. I guess it's probably good as a lot of pro pilots use it. Can someone direct me to a good starter kit that has Tx and quad? I think he may be most interested in a 5" one but would probably be happy with whatever.

What's is his spending range. That will help out knowing.

bigone5500

He told me today that if he does get one he'll probably just get a few parts at a time. I'm going to push for him to get a spektrum Tx from ebay or something.

Tony

Staff member
I would stay away from those china Tx's like they were the damn plague. Yes, a lot of people use them, yes a lot of people support them, but they are open sourced. And unless your buddy knows about open source and knows what to look for in bad code, it's best to just stay the hell away from those cheap Tx's. Spektrum is good, Futaba is good and so on.

Admiral

Devil's advocate here, I suggest you put him onto something like the Syma C5 or similar, why because it's a small investment to see how he likes it.
I've have three friends started that way, one moved straight into helicopters, one is still into drones and flying DJI with all the wiz-bang photographic gear and the third only flies his occasionally for the grandkids and has gone back to restoring old cars.

All are happy and did not invest too much to see how they liked it.

Stambo

I agree with Admiral, start him with a toy.
Once he knows whether he wants to continue, then look at building something.

I have to disagree with Tony on the cheap Chinese TXs.
Without that cheap stuff I could never afford this hobby.
I am still running my FRSKY X9D Taranis and have never had a problem.
RXs are way cheaper than most of the higher up brands, they have good range and I have never had a failsafe.
Opentx is a learning curve but so is any new TX. There are so many resources out there to help that it is not a problem.
I have never had to look for bad code so I am not sure what is meant by that.
The firmware releases are thoroughly tested and if something is found to be a problem it is patched fairly quickly.
I don't update my X9D firmware unless something new requires it, and it's not that hard to do.
Even the new Jumper TX is receiving rave reviews and it is multi protocol so it can bind with many RTF aircraft.
Having said all this I would be wary of some of the newer FRsky radios as they have introduced a new "more secure" radio protocol that makes it harder for the clone or compatible RXs.

Top Bottom