Scale head speed suggestion for 600 size MD500

Ron Stewart

Hi guys I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have a trex 600 esp that is set up in 6s in a roban MD500 body. I have an Xnova 3225, 1100kv motor. I need to know what you would suggest for head speeds? two blades!

Last edited:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I could probably help with that. So is it a clone or a Align ESP? We need to know the pinion tooth count. The main gears were usually 170 teeth on those. Normally like to slow it down as much as possible for the scale effect. Id say under 1500 would be nice if you can get there with your gearing. Should be able to get around 1400 with a 12 or 13 tooth pinion. With a 2 blade head, collective management will be key...
T

Last edited:

Ron Stewart

I could probably help with that. So is it a clone or a Align ESP? We need to know the pinion tooth count. The main gears were usually 170 teeth on those. Normally like to slow it down as much as possible for the scale effect. Id say under 1500 would be nice if you can get there with your gearing. Should be able to get around 1400 with a 12 or 13 tooth pinion. With a 2 blade head, collective management will be key...
T
It is an Align trex 600 esp, I have a 14T pinion and a 170T main gear.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's what I figured, Id try around 1600 to start and see how it goes. Is it a fly bared head and are you using a governor? Honestly you will probably end up with the same head speed as it was before it was put in the fuselage. Did you fly it as a pod and boom?

Ron Stewart

That's what I figured, Id try around 1600 to start and see how it goes. Is it a fly bared head and are you using a governor? Honestly you will probably end up with the same head speed as it was before it was put in the fuselage. Did you fly it as a pod and boom?
Yes it is flybarred and using a castle creations 160 amp esc in govenor mode! Never flew it as pod and boom. I am also trying to figure out a tail wag problem . I have gone from 40% to 65% on my gyro and I still have tail wag. I'm thinking I may have to buy a new gyro!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Randy is correct on saying replacing the double sided tape. It was recommended by a member on this site to change the tape ever year. Especially here in Florida where everything dries up from the intense heat :unconscious:

Smoggie

I made a 'what headspeed do i need' calculator a while back. If you have an expected weight for the model it should give quite accurate results.. find attached

Attachments

• headspeeds_V1.3_OpenOffice.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

RandyDSok

I tried to download the chart. Wouldn’t work

It worked just fine for me. After I unzipped the document ( and .ODS file ) and opened it in LibreOffice, it calc'ed the recommended speeds. I can't validate the data, but the spreadsheet works and doesn't contain any macros to enable. I also opened the spreadsheet using Excel 2010 and it didn't properly show the drop down selector cells... it just displayed the other data. Some Office spreadsheet programs may require that you enable editing on any files you have downloaded, it should have an obvious prompt that allows you to edit the document for it to work if that is the case.

I'd suggest that you unzip the document, in fact I always recommend that because in some cases working with a zipped file can cause odd problems. While I used LibreOffice and recommend it.. OpenOffice can probably work fine as well since they are related programs ( the LibreOffice programming crew had differences of opinions from the original OpenOffice crew, so they split off using a common code creating a new fork of the code. LibreOffice is kept more up to date currently ). There are other office programs that may also work, I only tested using the two I mentioned.

neverhappy

It worked just fine for me. After I unzipped the document ( and .ODS file ) and opened it in LibreOffice, it calc'ed the recommended speeds. I can't validate the data, but the spreadsheet works and doesn't contain any macros to enable. I also opened the spreadsheet using Excel 2010 and it didn't properly show the drop down selector cells... it just displayed the other data. Some Office spreadsheet programs may require that you enable editing on any files you have downloaded, it should have an obvious prompt that allows you to edit the document for it to work if that is the case.

I'd suggest that you unzip the document, in fact I always recommend that because in some cases working with a zipped file can cause odd problems. While I used LibreOffice and recommend it.. OpenOffice can probably work fine as well since they are related programs ( the LibreOffice programming crew had differences of opinions from the original OpenOffice crew, so they split off using a common code creating a new fork of the code. LibreOffice is kept more up to date currently ). There are other office programs that may also work, I only tested using the two I mentioned.
I’ll try to do it on my laptop later. Did it on my phone.

RandyDSok

I’ll try to do it on my laptop later. Did it on my phone.

Ah... smartphones are on the bottom rung of the "computer ladder" so to speak. They can typically just view and edit a spreadsheet ( in this case ) but not actually work one. Tablets would be slightly higher up but still unable to do much more than a phone. Every type of computing device has it's main purpose but can't do it all. If you hear some news media source stating this device or that one will replace all of some other... just ignore them, they do not know what they are saying and are short sited.

Top Bottom