Heart in mouth time!

Slobberdog

Well I have been suffering with a locked joint in my back for the last few days, but today the weather was so nice I had to get out and fly, so me and the family went down the flying field, they went for a quick walk while I had a couple of batteries,

First flight was with the 450, I now love how this bird feels these days, all that said the thermals running over the crest of the hill at the end of our field was hard to get used to, well I flew for 7 mins back and forth

but half way through, well that's where I had my heart in my mouth, I hit the thermal and shot off up in the air and forward a few feet, well maybe 100 ft away from me, well it was a little far for my eyes to see perfectly and I lost where my tail was,

needless to so I started to worry, was tilting it back and forth trying to work out which way I was going and turning the tail, and all the time stuck on the thermal so it kept its altitude well, well after about 30 seconds I got the direction I needed to bring it back towards me, phew, but the thwomp thwomp thwomp noise in my ears was my heart beat, good thing was I did not panic, MUCH.

Came down on the 7 mins and had 3.7v per cell left, which I think is wicked, with the 5 batteries I have that's like 35 mins of flight with the same time in between that over an hour of adrenaline,

Second flight was with the 130xx, I am having such a blast with this now, don't have so much worry about flying this one, so was doing the same sort of flying as with the 450 but a bit more aggressive and in idle up, did try to do a small tic tok but did not quite have the head speed high enough to do it, a five min flight from that battery gave me 3.8v per cell, so the six batts for the 130xx and the five for the 450 I could fly for an hour non stop nearly, don't know if I can handle that amount of that amount of excitement.

Well I have two heli's back from the field intact so I constitute that as a good flying day,

And I know I have to get the video situation sorted.:dunno:

Tony

Staff member
I would have been hitting idle up (if not already in it) and hitting some serious negative pitch in that thermal lol. Glad you got the birds back in one piece though!

Slobberdog

Yes I need to start flying that bird in idle up, I needed a lottery negative pitch today and I did not have it at hand, well I did but did not think of idle up

Tony

Staff member
On my heli's, I run all 3 flight modes with a linear pitch curve just for this reason. You never know when you are going to need that negative pitch. However, in that same note, for a beginner pilot (not saying you are a beginner, chill out lmao) this could cause an issue when landing or in a panic since they will want to slam the stick down, hence the -2 degrees of pitch for those pilots.

Slobberdog

I hear you Tony, its taken alot of practice to stop doing "the drop the throttle to save an impact with the wall" that you learn with the FP heli's. don't think I've done that in a while, had to get out of that habit when I got the 130x, and I fly that all the time in IU now, just not had the gonads to do it with the 450 yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I could have done with -6 degrees today though, the thermal was all over the site.

john2012

Banned
Well im not going to fly in iu untill i get use to both my 450's im just new also but i did fly both the flybarred and the flybarless helis one with the GP790 gyro and one with the 3gx

Slobberdog

Well im not going to fly in iu untill i get use to both my 450's im just new also but i did fly both the flybarred and the flybarless helis one with the GP790 gyro and one with the 3gx

Dude that don't make a lot of sense,

"Your not going to fly until you get used to both your 450's," how you gonna get used to them if you don't fly them?

Flybarred and flybarless are different beasts, but hey this is gonna get off thread if we carry on this discussion so I think I will leave it at that.

Take one out, catch a thermal, watch the heli rocket off, then understand what I said about heart in the mouth, and the fight to stay calm that's the hardest thing...........

Last edited:

Derek

It's definitely a spooky thing when the wind surprises you like that and your heli pitches upward. I remember the first time it happened to me...definitely "heart in mouth" time, lol.

john2012

Banned
Well i said im not going to fly im idle up,im flying but not in iu but im flying.im not not giving up im continuing , and just want to say that i just broken two of my 1.5 hex drivers on trying to redo my wires,had trouble getting the screws out with out heat their fore they broke now in stuck no one has them close by me?

Top Bottom