HK450GT First Flight!

callsign4223

Staff member
Don't let him fool you, the sound of his jeans getting sucked up by his sphincter was way louder than any gasps me and Bryan may have let out. It was a very impressive save however, and I was impressed by his flying. He didn't hesitate at all, just lifted off and then he was off like a bat outta hell.

And I will fully attest to the fence magnet, it grabbed my 450 while I was hovering side in and only a quick pitch pump saved it.

Tony

Staff member
*cough* I knew what I was doing the whole time, I just did it to see y'alls reaction!!! :chuckles:

Just put a new ESC in this bird. The 30a ESC's soft start SUCKS. But, the 40 that I'm putting in it is much better. Not Align better, but better. Thinking about putting a bigger motor in this one, not sure yet. It's almost ready to fly, I just need to find my bearing oil lol. Cleaned all of my bearings and now they are all dry. Can't run it like that, will cause massive interference.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so I couldn't help it and had to take the heli out to make sure everything was working and see if the tail has settled down. So, I put two drops of bushing oil in the bearings (just a little thicker) and out we went.

Just to update you guys, I had a Hobbywing 30a ESC in this heli. Soft start? HAHAHAHA, NOT!!! So, I started testing the ESC's that I had. Turns out that none of my 30a ESC's have a soft start even though they state they do and you can program then with it. It just doesn't work. So, since I pulled the motor out of my Extra, I snatched the 40a ESC out of there and tested it. Now, it's not as smooth as Align, but it did start up softer. The issue is, it's not a gradual start up, it's jerky. But still, it's a soft start and I wanted to test it.

Now that we are outside, the Tx is on, heli is on and we are ready to test. Now, it was about midnight when I did this and the wind is howling. Don't care, need to test the heli lmao. So, I set it on the ground and raise the throttle to 50% and click off T-Hold. She does her best to spool up slowly and just before 50% power (75% head speed actually) she starts to tip to the right. I cut the power, give full left aileron but it's not enough to save it. I'm no a side walk so got lucky there. It tipped over, blades hit the grass and she was done.

I picked it up and tried to find out why it tipped over. The thing flew great the day before. That is when I noticed it, the Pitch servo was not working. Oh goodie. So I take it in the house, blades all folded up and have a look at it. Turns out the plastic plug that goes into the Rx had been messed up somehow. This didn't allow it to hold the pins in. So when you plug it into the Rx, it would push the pins out making very little contact.

I knew that I had other wires laying around so I pulled off the plastic plug off one of them and swapped them out. Yeah... Something is different with the mg90s servos and the way the pins lock into the plugs. My other plugs would not work. Go figure! So, I just stuck it back in the original plug, put it into the Rx and used my exacto to push them in to the plug. Plugged the battery back in and everything is working as it should.

Back out we go, this thing is going to see some air. Now, the wind is even higher lol. Oh goodie. Oh well, it's going up. Spool it up and the only thing I can think about is that tip over. Did I hurt the main shaft, did I hurt the feathering shaft? Only one way to find out now.

At just over 50% stick, she lifts off into the air and the tail is wagging slowly "NO NO NO NO NO" lmao. It's not the gain, the tail is as free as you can get a clone, that only leaves one thing, need to find a better tail setup. Servo and gyro. I think Derek is fixing to lose his doubles hahahaha. But, it flew after all of the work. Sadly, it's still as unstable as it was even with everything being clean. Ah well, this is a beater clone. What can you expect...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Don't be crashing that bird after all this time it sat on my shelf looking pretty! Get rid of that cheep china gyro and it will be fine! Lol. Fact put a FBL head on it and I have a 3G gyro for sale that you could use!! Ha ha he he!

Tony

Staff member
Sam, the reason I wanted it back is for the flybar head. This one will not be going FBL. If I get another one, I have someone that is going to give me a 3GX to use. I'm going to try to talk Derek in selling me his GP780 and DS520. That will lock this heli in the way it needs to be.

However, there are other issues with it. this one needs new main blade grips. There is too much clearance between the thrust bearings and inner grip causing about an inch of play at the tip of the blades. WAY too much. But, I'm just going to fly it like it is until I plow it into the ground. Which should happen shortly lol.

Ken Jackson

Sam, the reason I wanted it back is for the flybar head. This one will not be going FBL. If I get another one, I have someone that is going to give me a 3GX to use. I'm going to try to talk Derek in selling me his GP780 and DS520. That will lock this heli in the way it needs to be.

However, there are other issues with it. this one needs new main blade grips. There is too much clearance between the thrust bearings and inner grip causing about an inch of play at the tip of the blades. WAY too much. But, I'm just going to fly it like it is until I plow it into the ground. Which should happen shortly lol.

Would be a great first video for your new glasses cam, Lol
Ken

Tony

Staff member
The replacement of the grips, or plowing it into the ground? the new camera sucks for videos where I'm working on a heli. They are only good for flight videos. And that is still a toss up.

canongraphy

LOL great reading Tony, would love to of been there to see all of this happen.
Well I could of almost been there had you FILMED IT LOL
To quote a Forum owner I know..."If it isn't on video it didn't happen" hahahaha
Anyway, I had a good chuckle reading this.

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, yeah. If I had the new glasses that I just ordered, I would have shot the flight. Didn't want to ask Matt to hold the camera nor my brother in law. Just wanted to put it in the air and see how it did. And hovering, the tail is all over the place. But in FF and FFF, it's as stable as it can get. Should get even better with the latest purchase I just made. And once the smoke stops coming out of my CC's, I will make another order lol.

Karubah

Your a real story teller Tony. The Minister for War and Finance asked what I was giggling about, Keep it up this better than a TV soapie.

Tony

Staff member
lol, I do what I can. You should have her read it. Maybe it will get her into the hobby... hehe

Top Bottom