Boats How Much Motor is Too Much Motor ?

DougD

Planning on installing 2 motors in my 80 inch PT Boat ! 2 - 3 inch propellers ! Absolutely No experience with Lipo Batteries or Brushless motors after 10 years of running 12 volt 9 Ah dry cell rechargeable batteries !
How much motor is too much motor ??? I also want to make sure the ESC or ESC's are big enough. It does not need to go 20 mph !

RandyDSok

I can't say how to spec how much power your boat will require, I don't do boats. I can however say that you start with the specs that the current motors provide. You will want to know how fast they turn, usually given in kv as well as the amount of amps they pull and the wattage at the given voltage. Next you will want to know the total all up weight of the current controllers, motors and batteries. Its all of that info that gives you a base of comparison to whatever setups you look at.

For the ESC's... two are needed if going brushless, one for each motor. They need to provide more amperage than what the motors will draw.

Without exact specs of what you have currently... someone that is familiar with boats won't be able to make any suggestions since that info is required to base any suggestions on.

DougD

The motor that I have been using in my boats going back almost 10 years is a beast that weighs 2.7 # This is an old school DC motor ! Dependable as can be !
They do not list KV anyplace in the specs.
The efficiency of the motor only is rated at 65% ! Max No load Amps ?? 131.227 Maximum efficiency RPM's 4,666 RPM !
Combine the weight of the motor and the weight of the 12 Volt 9 Ah Rechargeable battery at 4.5 # and it come up to 7.2 pounds added to any of my boats

The only hobby shop in this area specializes in rock crawlers and airplanes. The next nearest is hobby shop is 40 miles, after that its 85 or 105 miles one way

Al I see on Youtube is go fast boats and 50,000 rpm brushless motors and water cooled ESC's running boats 70 MPH.
I don't need that

The H.O.A. here does not allow gas powered boats and has Noise Ordinances !!!

Top Bottom