I should have known better!

trainrider06

had about an hours time to kill before I left for work today....weather was so nice.....hey why not get a couple of birds out for a quick buzz up and down the street in front of my house....
NOT a good idea!
First off two things: don't be in a hurry!
Secondly do not fly up and down a street in suburbia!
Oh yeah thirdly, if you fly 2 heli's and they just ain't seeming to fly right....time to quit!
Decided to take the 250, and both SR's up for a couple of Shake down runs...
Only had less than an hour, but what the hell, I'll just run em back and forth down the street...
it's a neighborhood and street isn't busy so what the hell....
First up, 250....it's wild, all over the place keeps wanting to drift sideways on me...constant right
stick on cyclic is needed....don't understand the last time she was smooth....
Oh well shut her down look at it later....
Next: Blade SR, controlled by DX6i, tail drift....constant rudder input right to hold the tail....WTF?
Bring her in shut her down.....
Next: Blade SR, stock radio, and heli.....Sweeet! she's flying so nice....buzz her down the street about 10 feet off the ground, back and forth, she's flying so good!
At the end of my flight, I run her one more time down the street, turn around start coming back....drop her low, about 3 feet off the ground.....to my left I hear it....car coming....
Uh oh, am at the point where a tree overhangs street....uh oh!!!!
Car, tree, car tree.....car....ain't slowing....I can't get much altitude because of tree...uh oh....car....
I veer off too low, ground rises, am idol up, car passes...too late...catch embankment, panic veer left back toward street.....chop chop chop blades catching curb, too late......image.jpg

image.jpg

murankar

Staff member
You know this, and I am guilty as well, but it's a risk to fly in the street. Kids, cars and what ever else.

Good side only one needs parts.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Everyone has to learn these rules some day, and now you know. Thankfully, this could have ended up with a busted windshield, someone being hurt or the car running over the helicopter. But luckily you were able to get it out of the way and you only need a few parts to get it flying again. Makes me really happy I have this much space in my yard out in the country.

Fly, Crash, Rebuild, Fly Again!

Lillyryan

Holy CR_P! Lucky man. Definitely not the place for flying heli's. It did give me a good chuckle though. Luckyu it was just the heli.

trainrider06

I have been grounded for so long, the weather has been the usual
January yuck, just makes me mad this little heli was just a pleasure
to fly! The lady driving by I don't know if she even saw it, she was in
a hurry on her cell phone....still I shouldn't have been doing that hehe.
It seemed slow motion when going on, but I bet it all took
place in about 5 seconds....probably if
I'd stuck it in her grill She'd still be driving
around with it there! Lol

Yeah Tony, I had a place out in the sticks years ago
.....I often think....man, I wouldn't have had to ever
go anywhere to fly, had my own air strip there...but wasn't into the R/C's then..

Last edited:

bbj

Wish I was at my old place also. I had lots of open space, almost 200 x 300 feet of open front yard. But also was not into RC helicopters then. Oh well its drive to the flying field or just practice hovers in my back yard. Suburbs can be nice but just no space to fly.

Stambo

I love my place, walk out on to the deck, turn on the tx, hook up the batteries, put on the goggles and fly over my 15 acres. :)

trainrider06

Wish I was at my old place also. I had lots of open space, almost 200 x 300 feet of open front yard. But also was not into RC helicopters then. Oh well its drive to the flying field or just practice hovers in my back yard. Suburbs can be nice but just no space to fly.
The ol guy I bought that house from was into R/C planes the neighbors say, one of the shops
I used for model building was set up for airplanes, had double doors, heat, and air....man I'd had me one hell of a heli shop there! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I love my place, walk out on to the deck, turn on the tx, hook up the batteries, put on the goggles and fly over my 15 acres. :)

Your a lucky guy! Can I homestead a place out there? :wink:

Top Bottom