Learn How To Fly W/ The Rc-help Trainer. Build & Fly Guide

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Learn How To Fly W/ The Rc-help Trainer. Build & Fly Guide

When you are first starting to get into this hobby, you have a LOT of questions that need answers. One of which is "How do I get into this hobby without breaking the bank?". That is what I'm here to answer for you.

In this article I will show you how to download the FREE PDF Rc-Help Trainer plans, print them out, tape them together, cut out the foam board and glue everything together. Once that is done, I will show you how to install all of the electronics to get this bird in the air. I will be using a Spektrum DX8 but any 4+ channel Tx will work.

The first thing you need to do is get you some foamboard. I purchase mine from Dollar Tree for a buck a sheet. It's cheap and lightweight. Then you will need to get something to cut it with. In the videos below you will see what I use.

Most importantly is the electronics needed to power the plane. This plane flies on a 3s 2200mah 25c pack. On my plane I'm using an 890kv Alpha 450 brushless outrunner spinning a 12x6 prop, but anything from a 10x6 to 10x8 will work and I will be going to the 10x8 shortly.

The motor is being powered by a 30a Proton brushless ESC and works great. Servos are micro 9g cheap servos. Afterall, you don't want anything too expensive, this is your first plane.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm here to help get everyone in the air and keep them there for a long time.

This is a playlist and will have more videos in the future. Be sure to check back often for new guides for the Rc-Help Trainer.

To download the most recent plans, CLICK HERE!

Maybe if I get some time I will show you guys how I created the plane below!

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Fuselage build video has been added to the playlist. Total of 4 videos so far as of this reply. Tools needed to work with foamboard, Build Guide Part 1 How to Download, Print, Tape, & Cut Out The Plans, Build Guide Part 2 How To Cut Out The Foam, Build Guide Part 3 How To Assymble The Fuselage.

If you have any questions to any part of the build, please ask. I'm here to help you get this bird in the air. If you have not done so already, go to the store and download the plans again. I have updated them with outer cut lines as well as a list of parts needed. It's free, so download it now. Or, you can actually go back into your account and download it again there. It's the same file, or should be.

Tony

Staff member
Wing Build Video is now in the Playlist. Have a watch and let me know what you think!

- - - Updated - - -

It will be a little while before I can get the rest of the videos produced. I'm working on the trim scheme right now and I'm having to download a new software package to do so. Once I get it downloaded, I will create the templates and cut out the vinyl that will be going on the Trainer. I think you all will like this design! I know what we have on a sheet of paper looks awesome!

Tony

Staff member
New video added to the playlist showing how to install the wing and tail feathers. Let me know what you think about the design on the plane as well.

Tony

Staff member
Part 6, Installing the motor, control horns and servos is now in the playlist. Please let me know what you think by replying to this post. Thank you.

Tony

Staff member
Part 7 has now been added to the playlist. In this video we go through installing the Rx, ESC and battery while adjusting the CoG on the plane to get it ready for the maiden flight. Here's hoping it's uneventful.

llommel

Excellent, Excellent video, very well done. I've built the trainer & crashed it 4 times already & it still flies.

Tony

Staff member
It's a robust little thing, that is for sure. It's not the lightest or easiest to build, but if you build it according to how I show in these videos, it will last a long time. Adn once you get it centered out where you like it, then it's a no worry plane. I had a crappy landing on the maiden and had to reshoot it (said a bad word lmao. other things were happening and I took my eye off of it for a second...) but all I had to do was tear off the nose pieces, tossed it back up and did another good landing. She is pretty tail heavy and pitchy at 3" back from the leading edge though. But this one feels different as well. Not sure what is going on. But I will find out lol.

Tony

Staff member
Final video before the maiden is now in the playlist above. In this video I go through all of the steps in setting up the Transmitter to get this Rc-Help Trainer in the air. In the next video... WE FLY!!!

chris

Hi Tony, ive started to build the trainer. Assembled the fuselage now onto the wing. Will post the pics soon. I have a question when building the wing, do I need to take the adhesive paper thats on the foam board while building the wing?

Tony

Staff member
Adhesive? Mine just has paper on both sides. I'm going to assume that is what you were talking about. And I never removed mine, but if you want a more secure bond between the two sheets then take it off. But I like it on there because it adds to the strength of the wing. so my suggestion is to keep it on and just glue it together. I have never had an issue.

OwnageKingX

HI Tony..Must say amazing video and this inspired me to get into this Hobby though I already had the part bought like 2 years back..But I am not sure how to setup my Turnigy 9x With TH9x Firmware to fly this machine...Will post pics of my plane..Pls. help as i can't wait to fly this thing now..

Tony

Staff member
Hey welcome to the forum and thanks for the comment. I love this plane and still have it to this day. I can sell everything I own, but the RCH Trainer (the one in the videos) will never be sold. It flies amazingly IMO.

Any help just ask. I have no clue how to setup the 9x but Marunker(sp) does. I'm sure he will see the thread and post up on how to set it up. YOu can do it with either single aileron (using a Y harness) or dual aileron via two servos plugged into two ports on the Rx. Then the elevator and you don't need the rudder, just bank and yank.

Hope to see some videos of you flying this thing here really soon. If you would, just go down to the airplane section and post up in there about your questions. That section will get much more views than the article section. Hope to see it soon.

Tony

Staff member
It's not special at all. The foam I use is from Dollar Tree but you can use any foam board. Let us know if you are in the USA or abroad and we will help you find some.

murankar

Staff member
Hey welcome to the forum and thanks for the comment. I love this plane and still have it to this day. I can sell everything I own, but the RCH Trainer (the one in the videos) will never be sold. It flies amazingly IMO.

Any help just ask. I have no clue how to setup the 9x but Marunker(sp) does. I'm sure he will see the thread and post up on how to set it up. YOu can do it with either single aileron (using a Y harness) or dual aileron via two servos plugged into two ports on the Rx. Then the elevator and you don't need the rudder, just bank and yank.

Hope to see some videos of you flying this thing here really soon. If you would, just go down to the airplane section and post up in there about your questions. That section will get much more views than the article section. Hope to see it soon.

Actually I have not set up a fixed wing yet. I hap the menu options posted on here in the Other radios section. I have yet to get into fixed wing I have to CCPM helicopters and those I can setup in almost a heart beat on it. I can try and help but I cant promise anything. Also there are a couple of youtube videos out there that can get you started.

SuperSiemie

Hi Tony,
Thank you for the information. I've already seen some foamboardshops in the Netherlands, so..
But I've a problem with the Trainer PDF plans. I can't download them. I tried to connect via Facebook, but it doesn't work. I also registered again and it also doesn't work. Could you mabye send them to my email adress? (tijni5@live.nl) Or am I doing something wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh... That is my sisters email.
Martijn Snepvangers

Tony

Staff member
You should be able to just click on the store button above and go through the check out process. Don't worry, you will not be charged for the plans. I just like to keep track of how many plans are being downloaded. Once you go through the checkout process (you will have to make an account in the store. I have tried to get around this but there is no way), click on My Account in the store and you should see your download button. In fact, once you go though the checkout process, there should be a download button on the very next page. Let me know.

Top Bottom