Maiden Flight of Simple Storch

Diver9543

Hi all, not long ago I purchased a foam board kit from FliteTest. I took my time and with watching the video and learning how to use a hot glue gun, I finally finished the Simple Storch. Today I went to a local public flying field with the intention of having a succussful maiden flight. Well, Oklahoma winds had another plan. I secured the wing using 8 rubber bands, twice as many as recommended. I carried the plane to the runway and prepared for the flight. I held the tail with one hand and applied throttle with the other. The motor spun up and everything was going great. As I was about to release the tail, the motor sounded wrong. I looked up as the propeller landed about 4 feet in front of the plane. Yeap, the whole assemble slid off the motor shaft. I lowered the throttle, picked up the plane, proceeded to gather propeller and associated parts and returned to the workstation. There was one other flier at the field and I have to say he did a wonderful job of maintaining his composure by not laughing. After reattaching the propeller and making sure it was SECURELY tightened down, I headed back out to the runway. The other gentleman ask if I would like his assistance. I accepted his help so we walked out to the runway together. Now, if you don't live in Oklahoma, when the weather announcers say there will be light winds you can expect 15 - 20 knots with a mild gust of 30. He was holding the tail, I applied throttle and as soon as he released the tail the airplane moved about 6 inches and immediately the wind gave a mild gust causing it to immediately flip up and go over our heads landing behind us breaking the prop when it nosed down. I turned around and picked up the plane, the gentleman who was helping me reached down picking up the broken propeller and handed it to me. We both agreed that the wind was a bit much for the foam board airplane. We returned to the workstation and I started gathering my gear to return another day. One thing can be said for the foam board, it is very sturdy.

Jerry

Diver9543

I was at Baxter Field. I should have gone to the Collective RC Field, at least, there are trees breaking the wind at ground level.

Jerry

callsign4223

Staff member
Since I only fly Helis, and home built foamies I usually just fly at my kids school. The field is plenty big enough for the stuff I fly.

Top Bottom