Mobius STD vs Wide Lens

Tony

Staff member
Okay, after my glasses decided to no longer focus, and the audio is crap, I have to get a new camera to use to film flights. The GoPro is just out of range right now, so I'm looking at the Mobius camera. But, I'm not sure if I should get the standard lens, or the wide angle.

I will not be using this for FPV through goggles because of the lag, it will just be a static mount on aircraft, my hat or whatever. Which is why I'm leaning towards standard.

I watched a video uploaded by Mobius with the two side by side, and the standard lens shows to have better color. But, this could be a setting issue. I'm just not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Stambo

I agree, I have seen both but prefer the standard lens.
Not only for the colour but also for the reduced fisheye.
I use mine for FPV on my AXN as the lag is not really enough to be an issue when you have plenty of room.
A mini quad on the other hand, at 60 kmh (this is not fast for a mini) will cover 16m+ per second.
If the lag is just 150ms you will actually be nearly 2.5m further than you think you are.
By the time you react to the tree you thought you were going to hit you will already be bouncing off it. :)

Tony

Staff member
Yup. And that is exactly why I ordered another camera for the fpv. I have not ordered the Sony camera yet, I got the fatshark camera so that I can do a comparison in the future. But yeah, I am not a fan of the fish eye effect. You lose clarity and seeing something with a curve in it that should be straight, well, it just messes with my head lmao. And lets face it, if I want to try it in the future, It's only $35 for the wide angle lens. So it's not that bad.

EyeStation

This is a ride with the new C lens. The railing will give you a clue of the minimal fisheye they addressed since their first wide angle lens.
This was shot 1080, 30 fps, all normal settings.
[video=youtube_share;jWwBJn7HJFs]http://youtu.be/jWwBJn7HJFs[/video]

Lee

I have the wide angle and love it.
On my cap with standard lens I would loose the model, but with this, even directly above my head by a couple of feet, it was till in the picture.
Colour is fine, and it is more light sensitive so better in low light conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stambo

Maybe it's just me but in Lees first video if you stop at 2:37 that curve in the horizon just doesn't do it for me.
Same at 0:52 in the second one.
What's worse for me is when you have the horizon go from the top of the screen to the bottom or bottom to top, the curve goes from one way to the other.
That just does my head in and I cannot watch it for too long. :)

Lee

I can just choose Narrow FOV and it goes away. So I have both options really :)

Tony

Staff member
how do you go about doing that Lee? Can you shoot two videos, one normal and the other with teh Narrow FOV? I woudl like to compare those.

Lee

You have two video modes. In the software, you can set up parameters for both.
Then power up the camera and choose between Mode 1 Mode 2 or Photo mode.
I have my to modes set equal except mode 1 is wide and mode two is Narrow.
Or you can have one set to 720p and the other to 1080p.

Tasajara

I like the wide lens, it does great video for me .
This one was done with the wide lens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom