General pitch curves

buel williams

I have align manuals for 470 and 600 idle1 shows -5- +5 - +10 - +12. thunder tiger 550 shows a flat curve. all of the throttle cuves are basically the same. why would two be -5 +5 +12 and one be flat.

Tony

Staff member
I meant to post this yesterday, but the bottom fell out and I had to rescue the website lol. So let me post again.

Hey Buel, apologies for not seeing this sooner.

The reason for a flat curve is more stability. I honestly suggest a flat curve on all helicopters regardless of size. And I use D/R (Dual Rates) to reduce them for more tame flight. My setups are usually as follows.

These are throttle curves, not pitch curves

Normal: 0 65 65 65 65
IU1: 85 85 85 85 85
IU2: 100 100 100 100 100

This makes for a more stable tail as it tries to hold the helicopter at a set head speed. If you have a fluctuating throttle curve, you are adding and reducing power to the motor which is resulting in torque to the tail causing more work for the gyro and tail servo to hold the tail.

And if you have an ESC with a governor, you have to run flat curves anyway and the gov will regulate the head speed.

Downside to flat curves, especially in Normal, head bog or motor bog. If you add too much collective it will bog the head/motor causing reduced head speed and without a governor to add power to keep the head speed up, it can, in extreme cases, cause instability as the head speed gets too low.

You will definitely want to play with head speeds to find out what your helicopter wants and what you are most comfortable with.

buel williams

I meant to post this yesterday, but the bottom fell out and I had to rescue the website lol. So let me post again.

Hey Buel, apologies for not seeing this sooner.

The reason for a flat curve is more stability. I honestly suggest a flat curve on all helicopters regardless of size. And I use D/R (Dual Rates) to reduce them for more tame flight. My setups are usually as follows.

These are throttle curves, not pitch curves

Normal: 0 65 65 65 65
IU1: 85 85 85 85 85
IU2: 100 100 100 100 100

This makes for a more stable tail as it tries to hold the helicopter at a set head speed. If you have a fluctuating throttle curve, you are adding and reducing power to the motor which is resulting in torque to the tail causing more work for the gyro and tail servo to hold the tail.

And if you have an ESC with a governor, you have to run flat curves anyway and the gov will regulate the head speed.

Downside to flat curves, especially in Normal, head bog or motor bog. If you add too much collective it will bog the head/motor causing reduced head speed and without a governor to add power to keep the head speed up, it can, in extreme cases, cause instability as the head speed gets too low.

You will definitely want to play with head speeds to find out what your helicopter wants and what you are most comfortable with.
thank you tony, and I will give those numbers a try.

Top Bottom