Rc-help Trainer Maiden Flight

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Rc-help Trainer Maiden Flight

About a year ago from the time of this article, I designed and built the very first Rc-Help Trainer. I was still very new to flying and didn't know a lot of how to get one in the air. but that didn't stop me from trying. That is after all what this hobby is about, learning new things.

After spending countless hours designing and building this plane, it was time to put it in the air. Why did it take so long? Because I didnt' want a trainer that had to have a wing brace under it. I wanted a trainer that had a self supporting wing without any spars or bracing, just foam board. That is where the Kfm3 air foil came into play.

With 3 layers of foam, the wind was strong enough to support the plane on the ground. the true test would be in the air. At this time, a year later and 46 LED's and two cold cathodes plus inverter heavier, that first wing is still holding strong. Talk about impressive.

So have a look at the very first flight of the Rc-Help trainer and post up your thoughts.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="Rc-Help Trainer Plane (Name Needed) - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
no name yet. If this is any proof of the quality of flight you get then I don't know what would. It did seem like it could handle the wind but only for a skilled pilot. Now you have your windy day flier. Maybe name it the Windy day flier.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, if I was to push the battery forward, this thing would have done better in the wind. But it was a little too tail heavy in this one. But, this video was taken about a year ago and I have learned a lot about how she flies.

mohamed

thanks for the plan i have already made the body but did you weight that plan i used 5 milimeters foam.what motor and prop should i use

Tony

Staff member
I did not weigh it. This plane has such a low wing loading that even if I put a second battery in it it would still be fine. And I use a 450 sized motor around 1000kv with a 10x6 to 10x8 prop.

Tony

Staff member
I will be completely honest, that plane is very tail heavy and can be hard to control. But, if you want the plans to try out, click the link below.

http://rc-help.com/download/RCH_Trainer_V1.pdf

Do yourself a favor though and at least use the wing from the V3 version. It's easier to build and it's also stronger.

Oldensly

Tony, I responded to the message you sent and then discovered I shouldn't have!
I have the three layers of wing 3 laid up but the cover sheet isn't working the way I think it should.
I removed 3/4" of paper from the center of the sheet and it is still very hesitant to bend around like it should. I did not want to force it too much and break the board. I am assuming that the peeled part of the board is the inside, is this correct

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, the part that is peeled off should face the center piece of foam. If you are having a hard time bending the top and bottom around the center layer, try cutting 4 or 5 slices where you removed the paper. Don't go all the way through, but the kerf you are going to make should allow it to bend a little easier.

Top Bottom