So I'm here. Now what?

DeepSeaOrca42

I literally just bought a quad & a radio. I wanted to start to fly line of sight before I added goggles into the mix. I took the drone out of the box, put a battery on it, bound a controller & still can't get stick action in betaflight or the quad. :( No clue why? I'm running an Emax Buzz & a Jumper T-Lite. The only way I've been able to get the motors to spin is with my mouse in betaflight. :( The attached PDF is my last dump. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• cli dump 5:13.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 2

RandyDSok

I'm not familiar with any of those products but... I think you may have a compatibility problem between the radio transmitter you selected and the quad's receiver that is included. Since these have some updateability for their firmware, I could be wrong... but according to the webpages they are not compatible unless there is an unlisted firmware or perhaps an add-on module for the transmitter.

Emax Buzz webpage shows it has a FrSky XM+ receiver 16 CH which uses the FrSky D16 mode ....

Emax Buzz webpage is at EMAX BUZZ Freestyle Racing BNF 1700kv 5-6s Frsky

FrSky XM+ receiver webpage is at XM PLUS - FrSky - Lets you set the limits

The supported Open-TX module supported protocol page is here Supported Protocols

On the supported protocol page it does list several of FrSky's protocols but not the one that your receiver has which is the D16 mode. I'd look for an updated firmware that may add that mode or perhaps if the radio supports an add-on module with that mode supported it'd be something to get. Otherwise you'll need a different transmitter that does support that protocol or a different 4-in-one receiver that will work with the other features that the quad has.

DeepSeaOrca42

Well the Jumper T Lite is a fairly new transmitter that uses openTx. It also binds with the XM+ just fine. (Or at least the XM+ is according to FrSky) who I emailed & they referred me back to Emax for support. They said that since I was getting a green light on my receiver it's working. Here is the YouTube video showing you how the 2 are paired together. But when I throw a stick in motion the motors don't move? If I go into betaflight & move the motor slider up, they'll spin. So I know they do work. But I can't do it from the transmitter?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I'm going to take a shot and ask you, did you synchronize the esc by any chance in beta flight? If not you need too.

DeepSeaOrca42

Again, I'm new. "Sync the esc"? How would I have done that? Ahh quick YouTube search... You'd be correct, I didn't do that. I didn't know to do that. Now I've done that. I'm not sure what I've "done". But I did it. :) I told betaflight to power up the motors to 100% then I plugged it into the battery. I didn't get the song in the video I watched, then I bought the power to 0, it made a noise & I unplugged & replugged with a normal boot. Still no stick action in the receivers tab?

RandyDSok

Well the Jumper T Lite is a fairly new transmitter that uses openTx.

I was aware of that and even mentioned the listed protocols that Open-Tx support page that I had linked to ( there were 2 linked pages for that info, I only linked to one of them ). I just didn't provide a link to the transmitters webpage. I also mentioned the possibility of there being an updated firmware that would support the receiver but it wasn't listed on the page I had linked to. It's pretty common that updates to firmwares happen but their corresponding webpages are overlooked and not updated to show additional support that may have been added or bugs that may have been fixed, often that info is only listed on the updated firmware page itself. I've even seen that ( lack of updated info on the primary product pages ) on quality higher end products such as Futaba and others.

DeepSeaOrca42

That's entirely possible. I haven't found a way to install new firmware on the RX yet. I hear there's a way to put it on the FC & upload it to the radio. I've yet to figure out how? Yes there could be a firmware update to the transmitter. But I've not seen anything from Jumper about that. They don't even have a real manual out yet. :( There could also be a firmware update to my battery charger that I've yet to look for / download. There could also be a firmware update to my VTX that I've yet to pull down. Again these things aren't even documented as to what company makes them. Just now finding out that they're made under the name of Magnum & are all sold in stacks giving me the impression that these components are meant to work together.

While all this may be true & I'm able to concede that I've yet to track down every possible firmware update for this thing I'm pretty sure that a company wouldn't sell something as "RTF" if it couldn't. At the same time I doubt a firmware update would prevent something from working at all. Updates usually enhance the functionality of something. At this point the only thing that's 3rd party is the batteries & the transmitter. All this said FrSky says the radio is binding. I don't have the tools to pull the thing apart to look at the boards or the soldering jobs. Again, this being fresh out of a brand new box directly from the company I would agree the problem is more than likely to be something I've failed to do out of ignorance or a setting somewhere that I've yet to hit correctly. My hopes were to run across someone else who flies one to share their experiences in resolving these matters. I assume they may have experienced these issues as well? Then again maybe theirs worked perfectly & they're out flying?

All hope is not lost. I'm still reading the log file from the ESC updater app I got from BL Heli.

Attachments

• Log.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

DeepSeaOrca42

I've recently figured out what freq tune means in my t-lite & that's been "fixed". I'm still curious about what Bind Ch & No Telem means? I'm not sure if I should have "No Telem" checked because I have a XM+ radio on the Buzz?

RandyDSok

Some radio transmitters and receivers have two way communications so you can get telemetry info back from the vehicle, what info depends on what they each support and I'd have to point you back to the manuals for that.

On 2.4Ghz radios, they have multiple channel frequencies in the 2.4Ghz range they can use and often they also use a security key to help identify each other ( trans/rec ). When you "bind" the radio with the receiver... they then can recognize each other and will work together. Once they are bound, when you turn them on, they look for an available frequency ( or several ) that isn't being used so they don't interfere with other radio/receivers that are also working in the same area.

DeepSeaOrca42

Well since this is a Buzz it has an XM+ radio so there's no telemetry from that. So until I get the VTX working to get telemetry back on it I got nothing. I still need to flash the firmware on the XM+ via the FC. :( If it's not one thing it's another.

DeepSeaOrca42

Somehow I managed to get it in the sky & not loose the thing. I'm finding out that the PIDS are way too high even for what is considered to be "advanced" users. "900"? I'm not sure how to or how much to cut them back, or in what proportion? What are "noob PIDS"? Is that unique to the craft or is that kinda standard across the board? Once I get this figured out maybe I can stop loosing lock nuts on my crash landings?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:arms:congrats on a flight and quad coming back home. I'm not sure if this will help but here's my setting and by all means, I'm not a advanced user lol batch_IMG_1217.JPG

DeepSeaOrca42

Whoever told you that you could take a pic with your cell phone & send it? Lied. LOL At the moment I'm trying to figure out why my throttle isn't working? All of my sticks work "but" that one. Ideas?

RandyDSok

Actually DeepSeaOrca42 you can take a pic of a monitor screen and have it be readable... but apparently D.O.G. hasn't got the knack for it... lololol ( now that I've have my fun with him... It's too small to read the text Ivan )

On Windows 10 computers, it's pretty easy. Press the Windows key and the Print Screen key and it will put a screenshot in your ...\Pictures\Screenshot folder. If you wish, you can then resize or crop the pic using whatever graphics program you like. Windows 10 also has a util called the "Snipping Tool" that will let you select the whole screen, a single window or custom selection and then save it as a file... or one called "Snip & Sketch" that allows you to do the same as well as annotate whatever you capture.

DeepSeaOrca42

How is it he has a max vel. of 667, but mine are 900? That's so unfair. :( I breathe on my stick & she's flown half way across the ocean.

Top Bottom