Quad Spashdrone

Stambo

I just got me a new toy, it's broken but I will repair it and use it for what it is designed for, fishing.
I was trawling through the NZ RC marketplace on Facebook and this came up at a price I just couldn't refuse.
Let's just say if I only salvaged the motors and ESCs I would end up way ahead, and that was my intention.
When it arrived I checked the damage and decided I could fix it.
I have found a second hand shell here in New Zealand that I am currently negotiating a price for.
I figure I will have this thing flying for well under $500 NZ ($330US), new is over $2000US.
It is apparently capable of carrying up to 1kg so hauling several baited hooks on the end of my game rod should be easy.
This should be fun. :)

2019-04-25 16.28.34.jpg 2019-04-25 17.18.18.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's too cool Stambo. Sounds like you scored. Like Admiral said, keep us updated.

Stambo

Used housing just arrived, looks in perfect condition.
I don't really want to be at work right now, I'd rather be at home rebuilding this thing. :)

Stambo

Ever seen a gutted Splashdrone?

Got the housing today so it's time for the rebuild.

2019-05-15 19.56.59.jpg

Motors mounted to the top shell.

2019-05-15 23.12.52.jpg

All the electronics in the bottom shell.

2019-05-15 23.16.38.jpg

Forgot to bring home some sealant for the motor wires, so that's it for today.
Should be near fully assembled tomorrow after work.
Just gotta figure out the GPS wires and I'll have it flying.

Stambo

Ok I got this thing in the air and it is rock steady.
I could park it and put the Tx down for as long as the battery lasts.
Return to launch works flawlessly, every landing within a meter, mostly less, from where it took off.
Dropper works well, I tested it it with water balloons. :D
I have just put my gimbal and camera on it so it will be interesting to see some footage from it, I may finally have a stable video platform.
No video at the moment as I was just too keen to get it in the air, but it will come.
I still need a new cover to make it fully waterproof before I think about flying it over water, but that too will come.

Admiral

Well done, sounds like a very worth while project, are you going to use it for fishing or mainly Video/Photography ?

Stambo

Well done, sounds like a very worth while project, are you going to use it for fishing or mainly Video/Photography ?

I'll see what the video is like, but probably a bit of both.
Takes about 5 minutes to take the gimbal off and put the dropper on it so I don't have to commit to one or the other.

Stambo

I fitted the Splashdrone with a cheap Chinese gimbal and a Firefly 6s and this is the results.
I decided to try 1440p setting on the camera but it turns out that is 1920 by 1440.
Taller than 1080p but same width.
Next flights I will try 2.7k and 1080p 60.
I need to aim the camera down a bit to get rid of the arms and learn to fly smoother for video but apart from that I am more than happy.
I intend to hook up FPV to the cam so I can frame the video and I may even try hooking the gimbal up to the existing RX or FC so I can adjust the angle.

TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN.
This is a bit loud, it is straight from the camera, no adjustments or tweaks.
It was around 5pm with the sun going down so lighting was not the best, this should be even better on a nice day.

Stambo

Nice one Stambo. You scored big time on that quad. Keep the videos coming :)

Tell me about it, I couldn't believe it when It was offered to me for $100NZ.
Came in a big travel case so it cost me another $30NZ for freight and then found that used housing for $170NZ freight included.
It will probably run me another $60 for the top cover and maybe $10 for the CF tube to make the legs, I am using BBQ skewers at the moment, they work. :)
So for less than $400NZ I have a $2000 machine.
And finally a decent video platform.
The fishing thing gonna be a bonus too, I will definitely video that.
Coming in to winter here at the moment so that might be a while away.

Top Bottom