The great 2 seconds maiden flight with my 450 3D

Shaddiz

Well ... as some of you might have read, I had a topic in the spectrum tx section due to something I thought was an error with my model setup on my DX6i. As I couldn't get my Blade 450 3D to lift, it kept turning, and tilting when given throttle... so ... after going back to the store and let them take a look at the heli and the tx setup .. it turned out that there was an wiring error on the heli itself. I left it there and they would get a heli expert to take a look at it.
Well .. the next day they called me, telling me that they had fixed the wiring, tuned up and resetup the model on the tx, and they had taken it out for a perfect test flight.

Cool thing.. My turn :D

Took it home, recharged and finally went to do the maiden flight.

It started out with some shaking vibration .. and kept turning the rudder around, wrong way according to the tx. Went into the setup and saw that the reverse settings was wrong according to the manual. Well.
Fixed the rudder, and checked the swash according to the book. All good.
Again .. more throttle. and the heli stopped vibrating so much .. I kept a little pressure on the rudder so it stopped spinning. Slowly gained up to about 65% throttle, and the heli lifted up, turned into a backflip, and sideway crashed into the ground. Broke the blades, flybar, rudder blades and canopie!

Not bad for the first flight. At least I was airborne for about 1-2 seconds.....

I will on monday go back to the store, and get new parts, and hopefully get an explanation regarding the takeoff, straight into a vertical flight, and then back flipping into the ground, only by using the throttlestick ... /sigh

Wish me luck for the next flight... :D

EyeStation

Ouch!
Get some training gear on that thing. Put some plastic golf balls at the ends. Get on a firm surface and try to slowly throttle up. You will see the weight start to come off the gear. At that time you can determine what direction your current links/trim/subtrim are at. slowly trim in the direction you have to correct for in the sticks.
Throttle down to a stop and try your new trimmed settings. Keep doing this for all servos till you can lift without anything more than slight stick corrections.
Focus on one servo at a time.
When you think you got it right. Power down tx and Heli and start again.
I would not try to take off from thick grass without gear till you can get this thing successfully lifted with training gear.
Your hobby store might not like my answer.

Shaddiz

Cheers for that .... I need to do something ... the store ofc, adviced me from using training gear .. I reckon cuz it's easier to crash and thous spending money for repairs .. aka higher sale ... And they didn't have any training gear in the store .. prob have to try and make something at home!
But I will first go back .. get parts ... and at the same time ask how they could fly it ... looking at the settings they used!
Will not bend .. will not give up ... I will prevail and no one can take the sky from me :D

I think with training gear ... I will see if the heli starting to tilt ... skid .. or anything ... so .. yeah .. I will take that advice and make something when I get the new parts ... atleast I get to learn how to fix this now lol

Stambo

Maybe get them to fly it in front of you with your tx so you know it works.
That way you know you have a heli that flies, the rest is down to you.
But I agree with Eyestation, training gear and flat ground with no obstacles.
Maybe introduce a heap of expo 30% or 40% and some DR on your aileron and elevator channels as well.
I found once I learned how to do that it made things much easier.
Also make sure you have not much more than 2 degrees negative pitch at low throttle.
Depends on your radio as to how you do that.
Most of us when we first start, are not only learning to fly, we are also learning to set up our tx for the first time.
So many things that can, and do, go wrong. Good luck.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Usually our LHS will test it out in front of ya, so that you know it works. Not unless they did it for free and when done they say you are on your own.

Top Bottom