Trees Were My Friends...this Time :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I took my 500 out today in the backyard. I went ahead and spool up and switched to flight mode 2 after a few left and right pirouette. I notice that during these pirouette my tail was drifting. So as I spun the 500 around to bring it for a landing, I lost tail control and the 500 was basically going ever which way but the way I wanted it to go. I new I was going to crash so I found the tallest and fullest trees to crash. I hit throttle hold and control the heli the best I can toward those tress. After hear that sound of the 500 crashing through the branches, I set the radio down and seen $$$$ sign going through my head :(. Anyway I found the heli about 1' of the ground and tangled in the tree. A branch of the tree somehow wedge between the tail assembly and the tail fin. Basically keeping the heli from hitting the ground. As I removed the heli to observer the damage, I laugh and said thank you to the tree LMAO. The only damage that I can see without taking apart my 500 was one of the DFC ball link came apart from the servo. One section of the skid holder broke and that was all. No damage to my fuselage at all. Main blade and everything else seem honky dory. I have no idea why the tail servo decided to act up but this time crashing into the tree save me some cash Lol. The trees were my friend...this time :)!

Admiral

Well done, it's not often that you get time to choose where you want to crash to minimize damage, normally happens too fast to think.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Admiral. Yeah it does happen very quickly like my X3 did :(. I just didn't panic and got lucky. I knew that I had to bring her home but before I knew it, she had a mine of her own and decided to freak out Lol. The funny part is that I had my camera mounted on my head but never push record.

murankar

Staff member
Be sure to check the tail shafts just to make sure they are straight.

Food catch, save. You pick one. Lol

For future reference one you hit TH bleed off head speed. Then the tail will stop spinning. I believe its call weather veining.

Top Bottom