Which hat camera should I buy

Hey guys, I'm in need of a decent head camera to shoot all my crashes with...lol, I'm thinking of getting the gopro 3 black edition in the next few days.

It has to be helmet/head mountable, but then I think how do you know if it's actually recording what you are looking at, I guess the black edition has an app for your phone/pad...

I guess most of you have a camera of sorts, but what is the most practical for mainly RC work.. And gives good quality videos/stills

At the moment i either have to use a tripod and keep the heli in frame, or get the mrs to come along and do the recording... She won't get up at 6am though...lol

I've looked at loads of YouTube vids, still can't decide, so I'm asking your opinion guys...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfman76

Tony

Staff member
Re: Which had camera should I buy

I saw this thread and got all happy. Getting ready to post my XSi for sale. As well as my video camera. Just dropped a grand on a new camera for my photos AND video, so I can get rid of the other two!!! Just hope it's as good as I think it is lmao.

pvolcko

I use a GoPro Hero (original) on a head strap mount. No need for any app to see if it is aimed right. Just take a little time in a mirror to get it setup so it is aimed at the horizon and the curved plated on your forehead is in an easily reproducible position (usually put it right at the top of my eye brows, easy to feel that it is centered and the height is right). Then use a finger or something to get a rough idea of how far from the plate the back of the camera enclosure is so you can put it back in the same place each time up put it in the case (or make some marks on the mount and enclosure joint to line it up the same each time).

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I just pop the camera in now, use a finger to space it from the head plate, clamp it in place, close it up, then slip it over my noggin and get the plate centered above my eye brows by feel. Results are usually pretty good. Every now and then there will be a tilt to the footage, but it is hard to notice once you're looking up in the air at the heli. And you can always correct it in post editing (though it usually degrades video quality pretty badly, so you want to avoid it happening too often or too badly).

Thanks for those links Kyle, I do fancy the gopro black, videos look superb on YouTube... Small and light too...

- - - Updated - - -

I saw this thread and got all happy. Getting ready to post my XSi for sale. As well as my video camera. Just dropped a grand on a new camera for my photos AND video, so I can get rid of the other two!!! Just hope it's as good as I think it is lmao.

I've just looked at your camera Tony, it's a bit big for my head though... Lol, I used to have the canon d450 but it's too big to hump around, especially when you have a few lenses, nice camera though, hope you sell it.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a GoPro Hero (original) on a head strap mount. No need for any app to see if it is aimed right. Just take a little time in a mirror to get it setup so it is aimed at the horizon and the curved plated on your forehead is in an easily reproducible position (usually put it right at the top of my eye brows, easy to feel that it is centered and the height is right). Then use a finger or something to get a rough idea of how far from the plate the back of the camera enclosure is so you can put it back in the same place each time up put it in the case (or make some marks on the mount and enclosure joint to line it up the same each time).

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I just pop the camera in now, use a finger to space it from the head plate, clamp it in place, close it up, then slip it over my noggin and get the plate centered above my eye brows by feel. Results are usually pretty good. Every now and then there will be a tilt to the footage, but it is hard to notice once you're looking up in the air at the heli. And you can always correct it in post editing (though it usually degrades video quality pretty badly, so you want to avoid it happening too often or too badly).

Hey Paul, sounds like you need a degree to mount that...lol, I like the idea of the app for the black edition, could be handy for viewing all your vids/stills too.

Well so far it's the gopro black.

Lee

Take a look at the Mobius camera.
Its much better as a head cam than the go pro and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Video quality is excellent. Not quite as good as the Go Pro, but really good.
Mobius ActionCam

Take a look at the Mobius camera.
Its much better as a head cam than the go pro and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Video quality is excellent. Not quite as good as the Go Pro, but really good.
Mobius ActionCam

That has a really good spec Lee, and only £60.... Is that what you use, I've seen your vids and there good quality..

I've just ordered that möbius with 8gb card from hong kong, £46, not bad for an excellent camera... Be brilliant to attach to heli...

Not coming till mid July though, but it's £20-£30 cheaper than any uk stock.

I might still get the gopro black in the meantime...not sure yet...lol

Lee

I have a Gopro Black
But i want a Mobius to throw on things.
I did another video today with the go pro on my Goblin.
But i was crapping myself that it would fall off and destroy my camera and my heli.

wolfman76

There is a video on YouTube of someone who lost there gopro while at the bottom of the ocean and found it 2 months later just fine it actually kept recording till the battery finally died... correction it was a guy right up your alley lee a kite boarder and was lost on the reef for 2.5 months

Last edited:

I have a Gopro Black
But i want a Mobius to throw on things.
I did another video today with the go pro on my Goblin.
But i was crapping myself that it would fall off and destroy my camera and my heli.

Lee, I've just bought a Möbius from hong kong off eBay, alone they are £40, got mine with 8gig card though, and bought all the attachments, like helmet mount etc.. The vids on it look brilliant..

Admiral

I see HobbyKing now advertises the a standard Mobius and a wide angle Mobius for around US$70

Lee

I don't have £4 never mind £40 at the moment.
Everyday I pray I don't crash my helis, or they will be on the shelf for a long time.
But eventually I will buy one :)

Derek

I don't have a Mobius but I have no doubt that you are going to enjoy it very much!!!

I don't have a Mobius but I have no doubt that you are going to enjoy it very much!!!

i will Derek, when i get a working heli....haha.... this zyx is playing up at the moment, 2 of the channels wont work the servos on initialisation. but if you unplug the servos, then plug them back in they work fine.... weird..

Stambo

I have had a cam that cost me about the same as the mobius for about 2 years.
One little feature that I love about it is that it has a laser you can turn on to see if it is aimed correctly when it's on your head.
It also has vibration feedback when you start and stop recording.
I just can't remember where I got it and it has no name on it.
It's a bit heavier and bulkier than the mobius but I have had it on my quads and trex500 and it did a semi decent job.
I now have the Horyzon HD V3 for flight video and FPV but I am looking at the mobius as something I can throw on my AXN.

Top Bottom