Cars 2 day old nitro buggy won't start!!!

ross1137

Hi all,
I just bought a brand new hsp bazooka ( yeah yeah not the greatest brand i know) with a .28 sh engine, when I was running it in it started so easy, then for only 2 tanks after that, now it won't even look like starting! I have spent countless hours surfing the Internet for answers and have tried all forum suggestions,
Fully charged glow igniter, brand new glow plug (not the one that came with the car), fresh fuel, carb is reset to factory settings, tank lid is snapped tightly, no pin holes in fuel lines (brand new fuel lines too),carb gap is spot on,everything is tight like back plate heat sink etc, engine primes easy,engine doesn't flood etc etc,I have owned nitros before but this has me stumped!!
Please help!!!

ross1137

Hey mate, first of all i'm going to say I know nothing about nitros... so i'm going to be no help at all.
However I know that one of the guys on here who is a bit of a guru on such matters is away from the interwebz at the moment. I'm not sure how long he's away for, but when he's back he'll give you a few pointers.
I just didn't want you getting a bad impression on this forum, cos they really are a bunch of very knowledgable guys in their areas, and willing to help.
hang in there and someone will get to you shortly.... sorry that sounded like a recorded message

ross1137

i had my old glow igniter fully charged and when i tested it the glow plug was a brightish orange,however i have since bought a brand new glow igniter and after only one hour of charge is glowing the glow plug a near yellow color so im hoping this will fix my problem! i understand that i need a fully charged glow igniter so i thought that my old one showing "full charge" would be adequate,so after i put the carby back together and reinstall the engine fingers crossed i have that nitro sound again!!!!!!! any thoughts on this would be appreciated please guys.

Mate give it a shot and see what happens!!
fingers crossed hey!!
I have been told on many occasions there is plenty about this hobby that is just give it a crack and see what happens!!
Good luck dude

ross1137

thanks mate! im pretty confident im gonna get it going this time,spewing that its something so simple after pulling the engine out,carby off and apart etc,ill let ya know how i go.

ross1137

Compression seems fine as its only had 5 tanks through it, while the engine is out of the car the pull start pulls easily, while the engine is bolted in the car pull start is quite firm when pulled (not flooded)that is normal hey??

Cheers

EyeStation

Compression seems fine as its only had 5 tanks through it, while the engine is out of the car the pull start pulls easily, while the engine is bolted in the car pull start is quite firm when pulled (not flooded)that is normal hey??

Cheers

The clutch should not be engaged when just starting. If you are experiencing binding of a free moving motor after installation, I would check further down the drive train.

ross1137

The buggy is 7 days old today, broke it in Friday then was shelved by Sunday,when I lift the car I can spin 1 wheel and while doing this the other 3 wheels spin quite freely with no harsh mesh sound whatsoever, after work tonight ill try to start it again, if it doesn't start I'm biting the bullet and taking it to the shop to get fixed.

bugger you haven't managed to get it up and running.
Sorry i'm useless with the nitro stuff, but I'm sure you'll get it running again.

Tony

Staff member
I have seen people burn up an engine in a single tank by running it way too lean to "keep it running". If you don't feel a "POP" when you spin the flywheel by hand (counterclockwise when looking directly at the crank), then you need a new piston and sleeve.

ross1137

Got the damn thing starting easily, now,but this time it wants to either run away or stall!! I can't get it right, I'm becoming very disheartened......

Tony

Staff member
What is your carb opening set to? Should be 1-1.5mm gap with the low speed needle set to factory settings.

ross1137

All spot on there tony, although I noticed after I gave up that the little rubber dust boot around the slide on the carb wasn't all the way to the end so maybe it was sucking air?

ross1137

Now it wants to rev it's **** off even with the carb at less than 1mm!! So I have to stop it before it hurts itself,I'm thinking the clutch is toast,any suggestions?

Tony

Staff member
Sounds like you have a massive air leak somewhere. Check your fuel line, high speed needle, low speed needle o-ring, and carb base for gaps.

As for your clutch, you can always pull it apart and find out.

ross1137

Thanks tony,I pulled the carb apart, when I put it back together I noticed a groove on the upper side of the slide part when looking down into it, I'm sure that wasn't there when I pulled it apart (but can't be 100% sure) almost like it had been spun around upside down , ya with me so far? But this couldn't be because the linkage knob is where it's always been and cause its secured to the slide thing it could not have spun round,how can I fix an air leak or for that matter even find one?it is firmly secured to the engine, the fuel lines are brand new correct length and tight as,the O ring is still brand new,each needle has its own spot so I don't think I've got them around the wrong way,I am thinking nitro sucks ATM!!! Thinking should have went electric.

Now electric is where I chime in!! hahahaha
Oh the speed and fun my little electric, or not so little electric has is awesome!!
Doesn't sound as nice the nitro machines, but i'd put it up against most of them! hahaha I just need to get my skill level up! lol
But man that sucks you can't get your thing performing at the moment!!
Hope you work it out soon!

Top Bottom