3D printing - PETG

bigone5500

I decided to get some PETG filament due to its higher heat resistance and toughness. Man this stuff is stringy. So far I haven't found the right settings to minimize this. My first major print and it looks like a black widow got hold of it. But after some cleaning with an xacto, sand paper, and hot air I was able to make it look decent.

... @Tony i have an image I would like to upload for this thread. I used to not have issues with file size but the 2.82MB file won't upload. Says it's too large for the server to process.

Attachments

• 20201108_154531.jpg
    20201108_154531.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 6

RandyDSok

There are two things to size... the physical size on disk like you mentioned... and the resolution. Tony said he thought the max physical size is 2 Mb which is a typical max size by default...

Most photo programs let you resize down to smaller resolutions which would also make the physical size smaller.

bigone5500

There must be a configuration difference than like before. I just remember that I used to be able to upload ~4MB files and they were resized on the server. I will have to try to lower the resolution on my phone which is where the images are stored. I rarely have any on my PC.

RandyDSok

There must be a configuration difference than like before. I just remember that I used to be able to upload ~4MB files and they were resized on the server. I will have to try to lower the resolution on my phone which is where the images are stored. I rarely have any on my PC.

He had manually edited the setting for that before moving to this server... he hadn't done that again for this server.

bigone5500

Well here is the finished product. I got this from thingiverse. It stiffened my build plate pretty well. I was able to successfully level it to .2mm (.0075"). I'm about to print a test to see how well I did.

As far as this new filament goes only time will tell. For some reason it all seems to be affected by humidity. However, I have not seen any adverse effects on the roll of PLA I have been using. I have left it on the printer since I got this thing quite some time ago.

Attachments

• 20201109_170154.jpg
    20201109_170154.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 4

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jared, yes, the configuration is completely different to what we had before. Instead of my server sitting in a nice rack in a data center, it is sitting on my closet being held up by another older server to keep it from crushing the plastic drawers it is sitting on. lol. But, I just went in and raised the file size for the image uploads. I went with what my company uses that I work for, and that is 5Mb upload size. I'm trying another setting for max_post_size, but that will need some tweaking. For now though, try to upload some images and we will see how it works.

As for stringy, do you have retraction enabled and Z Hop? I would try both of those settings and they help with the stringiness of that filament.

Top Bottom