550e noob mistake.

danhampson

i went out this morning for some more testing, i set the gov up so that i could fly 5s and 6s, the plan was to fly all 5 packs.

I took off on a 5s pack and forgot to switch to IU 1. the sorry ends with her going in (you dont see that camera angle) video to follow.............

danhampson

all ill say is that im glad that i fly over long grass. when the motor stopped i tryed to flip the right side up for an auto but had lost too much head speed while flipping upright. and auto bailout turned off in the bank i was flying

It turned out to be more of a very hard landing rather than a full on crash.

damage so far (not done a strip down yet) :

canopy (totaled)
boom (slight bend)
skid pipe (totaled)

possible damage

TT
main shaft
feathering shaft

Not too bad really i think my poor attempt at an auto, throttle hold and the long grass saved alot of damage

Last edited by a moderator:

stokke

That sucks big time, Dan :( I still don't quite understand what caused the crash? You were flying inverted like a champ...?

Slobberdog

Looks like the beginning of a tick toc, but not sure how you got inverted from there, bad luck anyway dan looks like you got off light

danhampson

my throttle curve in norm is 0 30 30 30 30 (for brain gov speed 1) as ive given negative pitch for the return to upright from the tic toc ive lowered the throttle too much and the motor stopped.

ive had a quick tare down and the damage is:

canopy
skid pipe
boom
mainshaft
feathering shaft.

looks like i had a lucky escape.

danhampson

parts ordered and should be with me on Thursday morning. not too bad its a grand total of £82 ($140) she should be ready for weekend

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the beginning of a tick toc, but not sure how you got inverted from there, bad luck anyway dan looks like you got off light

i gave pos collective pulled back elev from upright, centred elev and gave neg pitch to stop ready for the return to upright (nearly inverted at this point) thats when the motor stopped because the throttle curve is 0 30 30 30 30 the gov disengages at 29% throttle so anything below 30 is a true throttle % if i had been in bank 1 or 2 i may have saved it as i have auto bailout set up. i will be setting it up when i do the rebuild, well you live and learn.

Last edited:

danhampson

I should have mine Friday morning I ordered from fastlad earlier, I also ordered some of those nhp mains. The tail blades are awesome far more tail authority, in fact I am going to have to turn the gyro and precomp gains down.

Top Bottom