Prop A very young future pilot

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone, the other day I had my Army Cirrus SR22T on the grass in my front yard. Was getting it ready along with other gear for a weekend flight. A young family was with their two children walking by when their son let out a delightful scream. With his mother in toll pulled her towards the aircraft. She asked if he could touch it and I did better than that. I lifted the plane at his eye level so he could see the two pilots inside. He reached out and turn the propeller and was having the time of his life. As my wife introduced herself to them, remembered I had an extra set of junior pilot wings. This was a left over set from the days before covid when I did a show and tell with the preschoolers at my granddaughter's school. I flew a RC helicopter in the school yard while they were safely inside their classroom looking from the windows. Then I set up my computer simulator to their wide screen TV. While each child got about five minutes flight time banging the sticks around, my wife and the teachers wrote in their names on a training certificate with the school logo my son in law made on the computer. Afterwards it was graduation time:peaceful:, besides getting their little certificate was presented with a set of junior pilot wings I had ordered on ebay. Really enjoyed those 3 years was able to share a hobby I love with the little ones. Sure do miss those days, well back to this story:peaceful:, quickly excused my self as they talked and reappeared with the wings that I gave him. My wife mention to the mother perhaps she would like to pin them on the boy. Wish you could have seen the wide smile he had his face. I invited the family to my garage/hangar to see my other aircraft: planes and helicopters. Now that nailed it, both parents started asking questions that was quite productive. Then they saw Hulk Jr. my large scratch built Sikorsky Sky Crane helicopter. I told them this was a joint project with my good friend Tony ( Call sign fran11784). This really open the conversation about the hobby of model aircraft, be it plastic ones or flying models. Well it was time for them to go and all of the sudden, the little guy began to cry:sorrow:. He did not want to leave and I told him, everything would be alright because he was my co-pilot:semi-twins:. I extended an open invitation if they would like to see these aircraft in actual flight. Best regards, Jim

Top Bottom