Scale Agusta A109

Tony

Staff member
After thinking about this for FAR too long, it's time I reveal this to the world.

Back in July, @fran11784 sent me a little package. In this package was an absolutely beautiful Agusta A109 Fuselage for a 600 size helicopter. It already had the retracts and the retract servo installed and just needed a 600 kit to put inside it. Oh, did I mention this was sent to me in July of 2018?.... Yea....

I have kept my eye open for an electric kit to stuff inside this thing, and just never did see a good deal on one. I could go the Tarot route or the like and save a little money, but we all know how that goes. I would need to up grade the gears, put in good electronics and you know this helicopter has to have a scale head on it with 4 blades.

When Fran was building is latest scale helicopter at the time, there was some parts missing on his kit, so they sent him an entire kit to take the parts that he needed. We were thinking if they didn't request the helicopter back, we could stuff that inside the fuse and that would save a lot of money on this build. That ended up falling through when the company sent him a return label for the remainder of the helicopter. It was worth a shot lol.

So I know as you are reading this, you are likely yelling at the screen "DUDE!!! YOU HAVE A 600!!". And you would be right, I do have a 600. I have Murphy. The Align 600 DFC Nitro. So why am I not thinking about doing it with Murphy? Because he is a Nitro...

Looking at the built frame, 1. I don't think it will fit inside the fuse with the muffler that I have on it, or any muffler for that matter. And 2. I really don't want to cut a hole in it for the starter and exhaust. And lets not forget that this is a sealed fuselage. I would have to cut more holes in it to provide adequate cooling for the engine. Oh, and then there is the oil that would be slung all over EVERYTHING! I guess it would keep it shiny lol.

So the deck is stacked against me on using Murphy. I am holding that as a last resort because I really don't want to hack up this beautiful fuselage.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post up on this. I REALLY want to put this bird in the air!

So without further adon't, Here is what was hiding under that red towel on top of my shelf.

Photo Nov 17, 11 57 56.jpg

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yes! lets do this... I didn't think Murph would work in there. It really needs a ESP frame. Maybe between all of us we can come up with everything needed. Lets see what others say.

Tony

Staff member
One thing to remember is I do have a 3D printer, so just about any 600 electric kit will work. If I had the money, I would purchase @callsign4223's 550 and put a longer tail on it. Just don't have that kind of cash.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Here's you first silly idea for the day :). First when my 450 Agusta A109 Fuselage got hot, which it will, I left the front windows out of it so the heat can escape and when flying, you get air flow into the fuselage. My second idea is for the muffler. If the muffler screws into the motor, just a thought, can you get or have a machine shop make a extension from the motor to the muffler. That way the muffler is relocated outside the fuselage. Like I said, silly idea for the day Lol. Electric would be the best way to go but not cheap.

Tony

Staff member
The only issue to the muffler extension would be, it would require yet another hole in the beautiful fuse. As for removing windows... maybe. But not a fan of the idea.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Been trying to think of some ideas. Do you have any Trex 600 parts laying around? Maybe piece something together. The ESP 600 hundred is the ultimate fit in that fuse. I have a set of 600 pro frames but that might be tight as well. I was thinking of the HK600 because the frames are ok, just need to convert the belt to tt. But they have finally stopped selling those too. Still leaves having to outfit the electronics too....

Tony

Staff member
Well I had thought about re-purposing the electronics from Murphy since I can't fly that thing without being down for two days. If we do end up going that way, I think I would just need to find a frame and batteries. Of course, it just won't be right seeing Murphy gutted lol. I'm getting used to his beard :chuckles:

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
I was thinking about a electric conversion... Id send you the pro frames I have but I'm almost sure there would be clearance problems at the top where the servos bolt. You know the direct to swash type set up? I haven't mentioned Im putting together another Bell 206L and decided to use my Synergy E5 instead of building another helicopter for it. Took some major mods to get it to fit. Especially at the top where the servos bolt. I think theres even less room on the 109 so not sure. Whats the width of the frames on Murphy? Like how old is that kit you think?

Tony

Staff member
Just the frame is 2.25". If you measure the main gear width and give it some clearance we are talking about 4.50" wide. And the main gear should be the same on all Align 600's I would think.

For an electric, I would be thinking about height rather than width. The A109 has that raised portion that is narrowed where the head comes out. That is the place where I would worry.

Tony

Staff member
2.5 years later, and I put my hands back on this fuse. And I'm kind of itching to put something in it. I went looking at the usual horrible places and I have one question.... What happened to HobbyKing's helicopter selection? I mean, you go to helicopter kits on their website, and there is NOTHING.

I went from there and did a search for Tarot 600, and what the hell did I just look at? I honestly do not think it will work, but it might in the A109 fuse. The A109 does have a pretty long nose, and the battery mount and the way the battery plugs into the ESC is quite nice IMO. The kit is around $350, so it's still pretty expensive seeing as you know the aluminum on this kit is going to be super soft.

So that brought me to the Align kits and really the only thing out there is the 650X that is new. And at ~$750 for the kit and ~$1250 for the super combo, that is a very hard pill to swallow.

So that brings me to everyone here. Does anyone have a 600 kit that they do not fly anymore? Don't care about what head it has on it, don't care about electronics, although I will take them for the right price, I just need a frame to put inside this amazing fuse to get it in the air. It has been sitting for FAR too long.

Let me know what you have and we'll talk!

Tony

Staff member
The first link is the Tarot that I saw. $350 is a little steep (still have not won the lotto lol) but it's way better than Align. The second link I did look at and to be honest, I would rather have the Tarot kit in the first link (available at other locations that I have heard of). That Tarot kit is the one that I like the battery layout. I will have to paint that orange though but that is pretty simple.

Thank you Ivan for looking, that Tarot is at the top of the list for sure. If a member has one, I would like to help them out before buying from a company. Keep your eyes out! lol.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Doesn't Smoogie work at a place that deals with Tarot? Maybe he helps out? I have a fuselage for the 450 I do have a Tarot 450 DFC for it that I haven't messed with in a while. Maybe I'll try to get her together and fly...again :shhh:

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure if he does or not. Have not seen him around in a while now.

So for the Tarot, Having the chicken wing style landing gear will be an issue. Those front legs being that long may have to be cut off, and I'm not sure how much of that is structural. Definitely have some researching to do. And keeping my eye on different for sale areas. If all else fails, this may just be the kit I go with.

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thats funny I was just thinking about that fuse. I have some ESP parts but not nearly enough to make a kit. Honestly that 600ESP style is what we will need to fit in there nicely. There are some kits for sale on RC groups, but they want more then you can buy a new kit for. Ill keep my eyes open as well.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks fran! I want to see this thing in the air badly. As soon as I moved Murphy out from in front of it and saw it and when I took it off the shelf to move the shelf, Thoughts just started running on what I needed to get it done. And it all starts with that frame. As for RCG, yea.... everyone wanting inflated prices. Aggravating to say the least.

LooseNut

I have a Tarot belt drive tail unit for a 500 Dominator that I didn't use if that helps.

Attachments

• Tail Unit.jpg
    Tail Unit.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3

LooseNut

As far as cooling goes, the small fan units that are used for hot end cooling and the like all run on 5vdc, you could certainly use them to help cool the motor and ESC. I have a few stashed here for doing upgrades on 3D printers.
If (when?) I finish the upgrades on ole' #2, (my CR10) I'll be running Nylon X and Carbon Nylon. No holds barred on my attempting to print my own frames and fittings. Can't anymore than catastrophic fail...right?

Tony

Staff member
I do appreciate the tail unit offer, however I need a 600 size, and will likely go TT rather than belt. And I will have to see how warm the electronics get before I put fans inside the fuse, but it is definitely an idea to keep things cool!

Top Bottom