And the upgrades begin!

murankar

Staff member
Today I am just amazed at how the higher quality stuff comes packed. So far I am pleased with my selected vendor for all my upgrade needs. Yes I do pay more for the goods, but in the end I am happy. This order took 10 days to get in my hands at 1300, mail call. I have received my first two of three servos needed to upgrade the swash. I would have had all 3, but my night in Anjoung-ri kind of put a damper on that one. Thats ok though I will have the last of the cyclics and one other upgrade ordered on payday. I am set in full motion on this costly and much wanted adventure. I hope to improve my handling of this machine and response times. Don't worry the 6 volt system has been rectified and will be on order by the end of the week. The final upgrade will be the motor, thats right the motor. I have nothing bad to say about the helium series motors. My 3000kv motor provides the power that a noob needs to keep in the air. It does however tend to run warm enough to weaken thread locker while in mid flight by the third battery. I think I may have under rated my esc for that motor, will find out in the next month or so. I do plan on running with the new esc prior to the arrival of the new motor and see if that has any effect on running temps. here is the first pic of the upgrades both in the box and an "un-boxing" layout:

_DSC8414.jpg

this image started out as a 12.09 meg jpeg image converted from raw format using darktable. Dartable is a Linux version of Lightroom by adobe and shows some promise. Let me know how it looks.

P.S. I need to find the ball link placement / distance for this heli. I think someone stated 10mm before please correct if wrong.

_DSC8414.jpg

murankar

Staff member
well based on a trial fitting, the servo horns I would need to use wont work for the elevator and aileron servos. I would be using the horn with two horns on it and it would be the smaller one. Anyhow the servos will not be able to sit side-by-side in the air frame. Would I be able to cut off one side or should I buy a single arm horn that will fit? Or would the horns from the MG90S work?

I need to solve this prior to doing the rebuild. I also test fitted the rear servo and it should work with out any mods. But for safe measure I am going to open the lower holes in the air frame to make it work. It should only be about a mm or so and things should line up right.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can take a 2 or 4 arm servo arm and cut all but 1 off. I do this all the time to find the correct hole. If you measure them out, some of the holes are off by just a hair so you can get that perfect throw. Just wait until you see what I do hehe.

murankar

Staff member
Thanks Tony I shall trim those horns down.

Today I got the tail rotor shafts, well not quite what I thought I ordered. These new ones are a bit shorter and there is a hole in the shaft for the grub screw instead of the recessed band around the top. What was pictured was the older version of the tail shaft and they shipped the newer version. I now will have to readjust the travel limits on the gyro and hope that I did not lose that much throw on the tail. If I did I could always get the longer blades to make up for the short fall, I think.

murankar

Staff member
In about 14 days this heli is going to start screaming. I will be ordering the final Savox 0257mg and my new esc. I will be running a cool 6v system for that super response time of .09 sec on the cyclic and .07 sec on the tail can't wait. Then I will be getting the new power house motor 3595kv 475 watt motor. I am also nefariously thinking about getting the Savox SH-1257MG for the tail. If I do I may have an Align DS520 w/ one extra gear set for sale. I am thinking $30 plus shipping. I am not sure how much that will be even though we have a fedex on post or I could USPS it. Will see right now that is not for another 15 days yet. I am also concidering on the gyro also, if I do I will have my Assan GA 250 available maybe $15 for that if I do decide on that. Anyhow super excited about these upgrades, my plan is to get setup with the electronics so when I buy the Protos mini I will have everything I need. Then I will revamp the EXI back to cheapo parts later.

murankar

Staff member
Yet another order placed today for my series of upgrades. here is what I got:
Motor,
dampeners

due to a trip coming up I will be I will be delaying my tail servo, It will be ordered shortly though.

Top Bottom