450 Another problem solved

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hello everyone, well we are making progress with Hulk Jr. build. Let me bring you up to date with past barriers we ran into. Last year while collecting parts for this project, I found on ebay a 450 size 5 blade main rotor setup. No one made a 6 blade head that the Sikorsky Sky Crane normally uses, so a 5 blade head was the next best thing. Don't know who made the main rotor head with swash except it came from China. Assumed it would work but how I was wrong:waa:. When fran11784 put this in the main frame it didn't fit right saying the push rods from the swash would not line up at 90 degrees to the blade grips. I even ordered from Align rods we thought would work, still a no go. the diameter was still too small by 1 mm for the ball links needed. So after putting our heads together decided we needed to make our own rods from scratch as shown in the photo. Again ordered a die tool from China that didn't do a good job. That's why fran11874 asked for advice from the Forum about finding threaded rods and thank you all so much for your assistance. I went back to ebay and found a company in Mesa Az. that might work, got a die tool that measures 1.4 to 1.6mm. After talking with fran went and ordered from them. It came in a few days vs. a month from China. Pass it to him and crossed my fingers:nevreness:. And it worked perfectly. Also while he tackled this problem I was having trouble with the 45 degree gear box that connects the tail boom to the 45 degree vertical boom to the tail rotor head got from the UK. I could kick myself for not buying the last one on ebay years ago made by Align. The company moved on and never made them again. Never thought I would build a Sky Crane that needed one. The one got from the UK was made from a 3D printer and the problem was it kept falling apart and finally made up my mind to coat it in JB Weld from one end to the other. Now granted it's never going to be in another bird but that's OK by me. To absorb the vibration of the tail boom within the fuselage, will use the sponge material as seen in the second photo. The entire vertical tail fin will be encase in it, thus eliminate any chance for a malfunction. So we are getting a little closer to our goal and hopefully that's the last obstacle we have. Best regards, Jim

Attachments

• 699732149.jpg
    699732149.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230309_081403_resized.jpg
    20230309_081403_resized.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I was reading the start of your post, and was going to say get a die set. I had just seen them on a website and this is a perfect fit. Glad you got them made up. Now get them on the head, I feel a test flight soon!

Top Bottom