Ar7200bx How To Update Firmware

Tony

Staff member
Tony submitted a new Article:

Ar7200bx How To Update Firmware

In this video, I show you all how to go in and update your firmware on your AR7200BX. The process should be the same for the AR7300BX as well as on the original BeastX gyros.

You will need the USB link that is sold separately to update your firmware. You can purchase the USB link in the link below.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/usb-interface:-ar7200bx--ar7300bx-spma3030

Once you have your USB link, you are going to need to download StudioX. Make sure if you are using Windows, you download the Windows package. If you are using a Mac (Apple), you download the Mac software. You can get either of those in the link below. The driver for the 3030 USB link is also in the download and you can get it after you run the program.
Spektrum AR7200BX and AR7300BX firmware update

From there, just follow the instructions in the video below.

As always, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please post them in a reply below.

Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

Marcello

Thanks for a great series on the AR7200 Tony, finally it's clear to me. I noticed you were using the orange Microbeast USB interface, does this work with the 7200? I have both a 7200 and a Microbeast and was told I had to by 2 specific interfaces, one for each unit.

Thanks,
Marcello

Tony

Staff member
As far as I know, they are both the same. Might want to do a google search for "microbeast usb dongle" and "ar7200bx dongle" and see if they have the same part number.

Marcello

As far as I know, they are both the same. Might want to do a google search for "microbeast usb dongle" and "ar7200bx dongle" and see if they have the same part number.

I'll keep digging, thanks. Just to confirm though you were using the Microbeast USB interface for the Spektrum AR7200 in your video and it worked for you, right?

Tony

Staff member
Yup. The firmware is exactly the same, the only difference is there is a spektrum 7ch Rx in the AR7200BX.

Sorry for not doing the leg work earlier. I'm sick as a dog today (first time in years) and just couldn't look at the screen. Large quantities of medication and the fever is breaking and the pains are going away, but still there. At least I can get something done...

Here is the AR7200BX adapter - http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-1/usb-interface:-ar7200bx--ar7300bx-spma3030

and here is the MB adapter - http://www.amain.com/rc-helicopters/beastx-microbeast-usb-interface-btxa76007/p193711

If you have the BX, the spektrum one is a little cheaper. Didn't even know this one was out. But both should work.

Marcello

Yup. The firmware is exactly the same, the only difference is there is a spektrum 7ch Rx in the AR7200BX.

Sorry for not doing the leg work earlier. I'm sick as a dog today (first time in years) and just couldn't look at the screen. Large quantities of medication and the fever is breaking and the pains are going away, but still there. At least I can get something done...

Here is the AR7200BX adapter - http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-1/usb-interface:-ar7200bx--ar7300bx-spma3030

and here is the MB adapter - http://www.amain.com/rc-helicopters/beastx-microbeast-usb-interface-btxa76007/p193711

If you have the BX, the spektrum one is a little cheaper. Didn't even know this one was out. But both should work.

Thanks Tony. Hope you're feeling better soon!

leedude1

Nothing a little medication can't take care of.

So all set up I've updated the firmware from the 3.0.0 to the 3.1.0. The site no longer has the file they send you by email , but rather its an instant download from the site ( you need to create a user for FREAKWARE first) but pretty simple it appeared as well to keep all the settings I had already programmed in the gyro (at least what appeared in the set up tabs in studio X) I had set it up with the 3.0.0.

Took it out for a quick hover test and all looked good.:)Curious though, if I run through the whole set up menu on the gyro itself again, just to be certain, when I hit G will it reset the swash to mid positions and ill need to readjust each horn again for 90 and level swash ? Or, by not touching the sticks can I skip over it move the "H" etc and the existing settings in "G" will stay as they are?

Tony

Staff member
As long as you do NOT hit the sticks, it's supposed to keep the settings you had in there. But if you hit the sticks, you are going to need to do the setup again.

leedude1

Cool noted. The minute it was in the air earlier this evening had a nice solid feel to it. It seems a little more locked in than the 3GX and really not that hard to set up I found (with the aid of the manual which was pretty clear actually, your vids ) but will only give this some real air next week as I'm going away on vacation and will bringing it out to see what she looks like.

I'm going to balance the blades tonight and we should be golden for a maiden ,,,timing all worked out, I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish everything before I left.

Thanks as always

Heliman450

Hi guys, reading through and was wondering about an update of my own Firmware. I haven't done it since buying the Blade 450X. What benefit(s) come with the updating process?

leedude1

Honestly, Im not sure either, I just purchased mine and it came with 3.0 installed and I updated to 3.1 just to be sure i was running the latest version and i do not the nitro governor version... and I do not believe there are any additional functionalities to the software with the upgrade as such.

on another note to your previous question about gain reading on the gyro...I had just doubled checked and my gyro setting on my radio is 40% and is showing as "M" on start up when I toggle to 35% (position 2) it drops down to "L" (always blue) then back to "M" and purple (rate mode) when in position 3 = -40% so the readings showing correct on the unit.

Heliman450

Hi leedude1, thanks for the feedback. On Friday, I went over everything once again with the same result. I still get 'N' no matter what I do. I'm of the opinion that it's something to do with my radio. It's a JRProPo DSX9, which I bought in 2009 when I was working in Singapore. Which radio are you using?

I tested out the gyro settings on the heli and it responds exactly as expected, tail wags with higher settings and drifts with lower settings. I'm not holding my breath on this, just a bit frustrated as I like to know why things don't work or perform as expected. I've got the USB dongle on my shopping list next time I get round to the hobby store and will see about an upgrade. Until then, I'll just try and ignore the 'N' light.

Regards,
Heliman450

Heliman450

Eurika! I found out why. Just needed to stop thinking about it too much and it came to me.

I went into the "TRVL ADJ" function on the radio and changed the settings for "GEAR" whilst watching the AR7200BX indicator lights. As I changed the settings, so did the indicator lights. The lights change with a range of about 7% in each mode (Heading or Rate). Indicator light 'G' is on for the range of 43% to 50%.

As my heli performed as expected with changing the "GYRO SENS" function the "GEAR" function only switches the lights. Now I know!

Regards,
Heliman450

leedude1

Good stuff, ha' now you have me wondering why mine is showing M and L respectively instead of the your "G" for a 40% setting.:scratchchin:

Top Bottom