General Arrows Big Foot RTF, propeller size

Blade93

I have had 4 or 5 flights with this plane now and am getting to like it. One of the chaps at the field today spotted that my prop was installed backwards! Turned it round and felt better but still a bit 'sluggish' through the air. I am using 2200mah, 3S, 35c batteries. According to the manual, it comes with a 11*7 prop (2 blades) but the profile of it looks quite 'flat'. Would I be able to swap for the next size up in pitch to hopefully generate a bit more thrust?

RandyDSok

It would depend on what amperage was actually being pulled... and what the motor and ESC are rated for if you can go with a bigger prop or not.

LooseNut

Looking at motor specs for that size (3536-850Kv), I'd be a bit leary of adding pitch since the 30A ESC is probably borderline to begin with. Similar motors have a burst limit around 35A. Arrows doesn't list specs on that motor, but they use it in a few other planes, like the P-51, AT-6, and P-47. Each of those have multi blade props of 10 inch dia with the 7 pitch and use the 40A ESC.
The Big Foot is a draggy plane to begin with, so "Sluggish"? Kinda have to quantify the expectation.
As Randy pointed out, without knowing what it is actually pulling, you could set yourself up for a smoked ESC, shorted winding, or puffed battery from over current.

Top Bottom