Kits Balsa Streaker Goes Electric

Dick Russ

Hello my friends. I know this will sound like a commercial but I don't have any other way to get my news to you. As many know I have started producing the Streaker kit that I designed and sold back in 1975. I designed it initially to be powered by the COX .049/.051 engines. Since returning to the RC market I have had many ask about powering it with
an electric motor which seems many are going that way. So with that in mind I contacted Innov8tive Designs for help since I had no experience flying a electric powered model
Lucien volunteered to go over what I needed to know and what I needed to provide electric power to fly the Streaker. he suggested a COBRA 2208/20 Brushless motor, their COBRA 33 amp Speed Controller, the BadAss 3 cell 1300 mah LiPo battery, their 3D 23x25 Motor mount and a APC 5.5 X 4.5 Propeller and their Toolkit M4AC Battery Charger.

While waiting for a all the new goodies I built a new Streaker for the electric power. The best part is after I received everything I found the Streaker to be perfect for the complete installation with no changes in the construction of the kit. Now remember this is my first electric powered R/C model so I was a little concerned about the first flight. I now can say that I understand why many modelers have gone electric. With everything installed I did have to add a very small piece of lead in the tail to balance to the correct CG. The first flight was fantastic. It flew like a regular pattern plane and I did rolls an loops and what ever else I was capable of performing. To say the least it was just pure fun to fly.

In case you missed it Jon Barnes the AMA model tester just finished a product report on the Streaker and put out a fantastic video on flying the Streaker. If you would like to see this video call up " Dick Russ 1/2A Streaker Model Aviation Magazine" It is sure fun to watch.

RandyDSok

Something myself and others have done... since you are adding weight to correct for the CG anyway, is move up to a larger battery and move it further back in the fuse. This may not completely remove the need for some additional weight but at least it does give you extra battery life for some of the weight you do add. One thing to consider since it isn't recommended, is to not add length to the motor wiring ( the power leads from the ESC to the motor ) if possible. On the leads from the battery to the ESC, if adding length, go with slightly heavier gauge wire. Larger gauge wires can carry more current ( amps ) which keeps them from getting as warm.

It's great to hear you are now also considering electric in the models you are producing. Electric isn't always the answer over a fuel engine, but on the model sizes it works well for, it's a nice option to have.

Dick Russ

Something myself and others have done... since you are adding weight to correct for the CG anyway, is move up to a larger battery and move it further back in the fuse. This may not completely remove the need for some additional weight but at least it does give you extra battery life for some of the weight you do add. One thing to consider since it isn't recommended, is to not add length to the motor wiring ( the power leads from the ESC to the motor ) if possible. On the leads from the battery to the ESC, if adding length, go with slightly heavier gauge wire. Larger gauge wires can carry more current ( amps ) which keeps them from getting as warm.

It's great to hear you are now also considering electric in the models you are producing. Electric isn't always the answer over a fuel engine, but on the model sizes it works well for, it's a nice option to have.
Thank you for your comments. The BadAss 3cell Lipo battery I'm using is a little over one inch square and about 3 1/4 inches long and fits perfectly in the nose compartment. The weight I used in the tail is very small. I don't have room in the fuselage for the battery due to miss planning on the aileron servo.
If I build another I will move the servo over and adjust the weight and balance as you suggest. I appreciate what you said since I am a new comer to electric power. I do see why modelers are going electric. i just go to the field, take the plane out hook up the battery and go flying. it does beat the glo power for convenience.

Dick

Top Bottom