Beginner...help me to pursue and learn flying please..

Vishal Sarode

I am really a newby in RC planes and flying. I have not flown any rc planes and would like to start with this hobby. I am planning to buy a good radio and a good stimulator to begin with. Please help me to find a good radio that would help me in the future as well if i get into more advance flying. I don't want to end up short of radio features just in near future and need of buying a new one with old radio of no use. Please help me you experienced people out here, would greatly appreciate.

Regards,
Vishal

idon'tknow!

rc-help EXPERT.......????
Welcome aboard... If you don't want to buy a cheaper first radio, I would suggest you get something like the DX8. It is a very capable radio, as well as easy to program. I think it would take you a very long time to grow out of it as well. As for it's price, it could be better, but that's around the best you will get for a middle class radio. Oh yes, the Dx8 is a 8 channel transmitter, which means for an airplane you would be able to have you throttle, elevator, aileron, rudder, flaps, retractable landing gear, bomb bay door, and you would have one spare channel for what ever you want... it might be a air brake... who knows, but (i hope) that gives you a basic idea of what a dx8 is capable of. Hope this helps... if you need help locating a hobby store near you we might be of some use, as well as locating RC clubs. Again welcome aboard Vishal!

Last edited:

Lee

Welcome Vishal,
The two big contenders are Futaba and Spektrum. Also just arrived on the seen is the FRSky Taranis which is getting good reviews. But looking at the two big boys, you have a few choices depending on your wallet. The two most popular and ones that will see you well into this hobby are the Spectrum DX8 (or the new DX9), and the Futaba 8FG. Both fantastic radios. You would not be disappointed with either.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. As stated, although I will add one more, there are 3 big contenders in the Tx game. JR, Spektrum and Futaba. I don't like Futaba because the Rx's are so friggin expensive. JR is a top end radio with Spektrum right below them. If you get JR, be careful that you know what you are getting. the new ones are DMSS and are NOT compatible with DSM2 or DSMX, which the DX8, DX7s and DX6i use.

IMO, if you are wanting something that you are not going to have to upgrade in the near future, get the new DX9. It's about $400, but you will not have to buy another one unless you want to. The DX8 is what I use as well as a lot of others on here and we all love it. If you are pinched on money, the DX7s is a great Tx, it's just lacking in features from the DX8. Hope this helps.

:welcome1:

Derek

Hello Vishal! I started my rc career with a Spektrum DX6i. It's a fantastic transmitter for beginners. It's affordable and easy to use. I did upgrade to the Spektrum DX8 and I love it. The new Spektrum DX9 is an amazing new transmitter with many functions. I dont know much about JR or Futaba transmitters but I do know that the receivers for the Futaba are expensive.

Here are a couple of links that might help you out:

Spektrum DX9
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dx9-9-channel-dsmx-transmitter-only-SPMR9900

Spektrum DX8
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dx8-8ch-transmitter-with-ar8000-tm1000-no-servos-SPM8800

I read in your original post that you were looking to get a good simulator, too. I'd like to suggest a bundle pack that Horizon Hobby is offering right now. You can get a new Spektrum DX6i transmitter, two Spektrum AR400 4-channel receivers, and a new copy of the Phoenix RC Flight Simulator for less than $300US. Personally, I think it's an amazing offer. Here is a link for that:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM6610SC

The DX6i, with two receivers, and the simulator would give you a great start into the hobby and it's a very reasonable price.

I hope this helps!

Top Bottom