Cars Beginner's question regarding ESC/Motor/Battery upgrade

ilan

Hello,
I'm a "beginner" in the upgrade business. I'm doing my research / learning trial and error on cheep chinses equipment from eBay/AliExpress.

Ive recently purchased an upgrade kit for my cheeps FY03 buggy.
It contained minimum spec info of the component, so I the community help to understand few things (ho to calculate stuff).
Im missing the motor watt specs (rating)
The motor is a7.4v 2700kv (+- 10% ) and the ESC is 45amp

My questions are:
1. Can I calculate max output of motor (in Watts) from the above info ?
2. What is the max recommended battery that can go with this setup ? currently, I have 20c 7.4 2200mAh, can I use higher capacity ? can I use more cells ?
how do i calculate it taking into consideration the batt C rating , voltage and capacity if I don't know watt rating of the motor....

If my questions are too novice for this forum please can you direct me somewhere else ?
Thanks in advance.
Ilan

RandyDSok

You can't calculate anything given that info.

You need at least two values in an Ohms Law calculation to figure out the other values.... you only have one.

Motor's will often have a voltage range they can work within... as long as you stay within that range its only a matter of not pulling too many watts/amps so you don't burn up the motor. Your max battery capacity will be determined by the vehicle itself since you wouldn't want to put too much weight on it.

ilan

Hi
You can't calculate anything given that info.

You need at least two values in an Ohms Law calculation to figure out the other values.... you only have one.

Motor's will often have a voltage range they can work within... as long as you stay within that range its only a matter of not pulling too many watts/amps so you don't burn up the motor. Your max battery capacity will be determined by the vehicle itself since you wouldn't want to put too much weight on it.
Thanks for your reply!
I saw that YouTube video you've suggested, but as I said I'm missing some important input regarding the motor.

What is the recommended margin for esc max amp , 15% more then the max motor Amp consumption?

RandyDSok

There isn't any recommended margins... especially dealing with cheap components where they likely selected parts based off of cost instead of anything that may be considered logical. Even when I select parts, I pick them just a bit oversized and based on the cost, select something a little larger that may work in another build if possible if the weight isn't too much more. In addition, just because a motor may have a max amp rating, doesn't mean it won't pull more amps ( and then burn up ) than that rating if you load it down too much.

ilan

There isn't any recommended margins... especially dealing with cheap components where they likely selected parts based off of cost instead of anything that may be considered logical. Even when I select parts, I pick them just a bit oversized and based on the cost, select something a little larger that may work in another build if possible if the weight isn't too much more. In addition, just because a motor may have a max amp rating, doesn't mean it won't pull more amps ( and then burn up ) than that rating if you load it down too much.
Thanks

Top Bottom