Quad Beta Flight Used To Work Now Says"failed To Connect To Serial Port"

Hello. I recently built my first quad and everything went great until I got to Betaflight. When I first plugged my drone in it connected fine and I edited some stuff using a guide. Despite using a guide, for some reason nothing was responding on the receiver tab. I'm using the FS-I6 transmitter and the FS-IA6B receiver. After some research I thought I would try I-Bus instead of PPM. I had to edit some stuff in the configuration tab and I'm pretty sure I bricked the FC, because now it wont connect. I'm not an experienced hobbyist so i'm not sure what to do. Also I don't have a lot of money so I'm using a Banggood flight board(Racerstar StarF4S 30A Blheli_S Dshot 4 in 1 ESC AIO F4 OSD Flight Controller w/ BEC Current Sensor).
I heard re-flashing the board will fix it, but can I if it cant connect? And what board do I select? I'm pretty lost right now so I hope someone has an answer.

Tony

Staff member
It sounds like you turned off the USB UART which is required to get a connection from USB to the computer. If you turned this off, the only way to turn it back on is to go into bootloader mode and reflash with full chip erase. To do this, hold down the boot button on the board when you connect it to the USB cable. You should see it in betaflight and you should be able to put a fresh firmware on it. Just make sure to select Full Chip Erase so it sends everything back to default.

Tony

Staff member
On the home page of betaflight, there are two or three links to drivers. Do you have all of those drivers installed? If so, try deleting them from your computer and reinstalling them. Also, try a different USB cable.

Tony

Staff member
No worries Andrew, there are no dumb questions, just those that are not asked.

Click on your start menu and type in Control. Once you start typing that in you will see Control Panel at the top. Select it. That will open up the Control Panel and in that window you will see Add Remove Programs. Click on that. In there look for anything that says CP210x and remove it. It may also say Silicon Laboratories on it or next to it. If you don't see any of those in there, then it is not installed.

Once you are done uninstalling them, grab a fresh download from the betaflight page and install them again.

You had said there are no VCP's in your DM so I skipped that part, but if you can find them in there, uninstall those as well.

And again, try a different USB cable. They do go bad every now and then. Rare, but it happens.

I found a guide and for zadig you have to select boot loader under all devices but it doesn't show up for me. It also doesn't make a noise when I plug it in in boot loader.

Tony

Staff member
Have you tried another USB cable? If so, try another flight controller if you have one. This is starting to sound like a bricked FC though. Not going into BL is not a good sign...

Tony

Staff member
Can you post a link to the board that you have? That will help me in knowing what board to select in betaflight. Sometimes they name them really weird.

I got it. Lucked out and found it on YouTube. Now this brings me to my original problem. The receiver tab isn't responding. I'm using PPM with a FS-i6 transmitter and FS-iA6B receiver. It is connect to the transmitter.

Tony

Staff member
This part is out of my realm. I have never done anything with PPM or the Tx/Rx you are using. I will try to keep this at the top of the forum so that someone can help out. Glad you didn't brick it though.

Tony

Staff member
You did it all on this one. None of my suggestions worked lmao. Great job! Now we just need to get the next issue solved so you can get us some flight video :chuckles:

Top Bottom