Bigger crash

zenmetsu

Well today I got disoriented while practicing nose-in hovering. I have been practicing in Phoenix, but for some reason I still made a boo-boo when flying in person. :(

I ended up putting it nose into the pavement. Casualties: Main shaft bent, 3 teeth on main gear partially stripped, tail boom bent (not sure how that happened, no blade strike occurred), flybar bent like a taco, one link to the main blade grip snapped in half, both main blades.

The good news; I had most of the replacement parts at the ready. I straightened/salvaged the main shaft, but replaced it with a fresh one and kept the original as a spare. I had to go purchase some linkages to replace the ones that broke, but everything else I had on hand.

Here are the busted up pieces:
DSCN1190.JPG

The better news: It only took me about an hour to fix everything up and balance the head and center the tail slider on the new boom. As an added bonus, I retired my GY401 and will use it with the faster HiTec servo on my 450 when I pick one up. I now have a Spartan Quark feeding my JR 290G and it works quite nicely. With the smaller gyro, I was able to clean up my wiring significantly. This makes me happy.

DSCN1192.JPG
DSCN1193.JPG
DSCN1194.JPG
DSCN1195.JPG

I have a replacement canopy that I'll be painting. I'll throw it on there once I feel that I'm less likely to crash. :)

DSCN1190.JPG

DSCN1192.JPG

DSCN1193.JPG

DSCN1194.JPG

DSCN1195.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Wow, but that's a part of flying lmao. If I had to pay for all of the crashes I have has in the sims, yeah, I would be beyond broke. But, there is nothing like the real thing. I'm amazed that is all you broke. Check the feathering shaft as well. If it's bent (and I'm sure it is if your blades hit the ground), you will have horrible vibrations. As for the Spartan, that is a great gyro. Pair that up with a fast digital servo, and you will be in business.

zenmetsu

Oh yeah, feathering shaft was bent. It was really hard to tell, but it definitely was deformed when I rolled it over a glass surface. I also busted the control rod supports that hold the tail control rod in place on the boom. The EXI ones actually screw down and can be tightened without wedging a zip tie in there like the Align ones. I also noticed that the EXI uses metal inserts inside the tail boom mount instead of plastic ones.

So far I am really liking this Quark gyro. :)

Tony

Staff member
Well it sounds like you are getting along quite well with this heli. If you are handling it this well, I see a 450 not too far in your future. But, we still want video of you flying. We don't care how boring you think it is, we may see something you can improve on.

zenmetsu

I'll work on that. I have a camera that does decent video, but I'd need a tripod or an assistant. Fiancé is a bit intimidated by the noise. In the middle of moving too, so half my stuff is packed up. I'll try to get a little bit on video today if I can.

Top Bottom