Bird down again

My 450 is dead again.

I think I'll give up with flying....!!

The other day when I posted a short video on how stable my heli was it was flying great, when I let go of cyclic the heli leveled out perfectly. tonight I've been out and noticed this time flying in circle with aileron and rudder, it didn't level out when I released aileron, consequently it hit the ground...

Anybody know why cyclic would work one day and not the next. I've only changed the tail servo, my preflight checks were fine, swash and tail responding to heli movements ok..

Thanks guys

Tony

Staff member
You have to think of a CCPM helicopter as a marble on a sheet of glass. If you give that piece of glass an input, the marble will start rolling. And it will keep rolling until you give an opposite command for it to stop. This is why CP helicopters are so hard to fly. You have to always be on top of them. FP helicopters will self right pretty easily. A CP helicopter can't do it unless you have a gyro that is made for it. Like the HC or Ikon.

Build, fly, crash, rebuild, that is the name of the game in helicopters. It sucks, but it's addictive.

treff

Sorry to hear you've hit the dirt again. Like Tony said, it's a bugger but I'm sure after a couple of hours you'll be wanting to fix it up
and get out for another go. I have nearly given up so many times I have lost count. Stick with it it'll come but it come pretty slowly I'm afraid but
great when it goes right. Crash, build, fly but not always in that order.

You have to think of a CCPM helicopter as a marble on a sheet of glass. If you give that piece of glass an input, the marble will start rolling. And it will keep rolling until you give an opposite command for it to stop. This is why CP helicopters are so hard to fly. You have to always be on top of them. FP helicopters will self right pretty easily. A CP helicopter can't do it unless you have a gyro that is made for it. Like the HC or Ikon.

Build, fly, crash, rebuild, that is the name of the game in helicopters. It sucks, but it's addictive.

Thanks Tony, the other day when I was flying I tested this by just hovering, then giving it right and left aileron, then just centering stick, and it just sat there completely level with no stick input, I even let go of both sticks as that video I posted...

It's got me baffled, I understand your explanation but this gyro is meant to self level, and it was doing that perfectly. it's the mini Kbar, apparently better than the vbar..

The other day, I was doing some FFF and almost hit a tree, I let go of cyclic and gave it full collective, got me out of it. Disaster averted..

cml001

Yeah.. Sorry the hear that she went in.. Don't give up... That's the challenge.. Keep goin!

thanks everyone... i actually left the heli in the field and came home. i was so annoyed at myself... i relied on the heli levelling out but it didnt this time.... see my vid in the members video section here where i nearly hit the trees... worked then...

anyway, yes ive been back in the dark to get my heli..... haha

pvolcko

Never come to rely on any kind of self leveling feature in normal flight. They are not bullet proof and should only be a last ditch "save my butt" kind of thing. I'd highly recommend learning to fly by not using this feature. You will learn bad habits that will be very difficult to break when you want to progress past simple circuits. It's a great means to get people hovering or to let them try out a heli with little flight experience, but if you want to learn how to really fly a CP heli, then turn it off, sooner rather than later.

Tony

Staff member
Ah yeah, I forgot that your gyro has SL on it. Maybe you had a switch flipped the wrong way or something?

This is why I have always said that everyone should not rely on SL. You just never know when the electrical gremlins are going to get you and things are just not going to work like they should. I'm a firm believer in learning how to fly the helicopter stock, and using any bailout feature in an emergency only. Well, it makes sense to me hahaha.

Tony

Staff member
Eh, it's only parts. I know when I was just learning, I would order the cheap blades because those are the most expensive part. At $20 a set, you hates breaking those. But I would order 4 tail booms, main shafts, main gears, feathering shafts, tail gears (or a belt), tail shaft, tail boom, skids, tail supports and linkages. That way, if I crashed, I would have extras. And lets face it, if your flying, your crashing. This is the main reason I don't want to fly the 600N. When that thing crashes, it's $200 to put it back in the air lmao. So it could be worse...

Admiral

Hi Tony, RC Helicopters are character building I must admit but you just keep going, I've had a similar week to you with my Blade 400 FBL had it sorted out perfectly really enjoyed flying it until I decided to practice figure eights in the front yard, a bit small but good practice until I clipped the fig tree. DAM minimal damage or so I thought, quick overnight repair and ready to fly again next day, wrong I missed something, on the check flight strange noise then bang something in the head locked up, the whole head rotated smashing the anti rotation bracket and bending all the linkages. Give up, no, it's only a flesh wound I have it back up in the air next week after a total re-build to make sure I find everything this time. Enjoy France.

Slobberdog

dude just caught up with this thread, gutting but as all have said fix it up get it back in the air, what damage did you do to it,

It's all fixed now, I'm just checking all the mechanics again, swash, pitch etc etc... Running the vbar software.. Fitting a Bluetooth module...

Damage was... Blades, main gear (got 9 old ones now) feathering shaft, tail blade grip shaft was bent... Luckily I had those parts in spare.... Phew...

The reason I said it wouldn't be going to France Tony was because I would have never got the parts in time.(leaving for ferry in 2hrs)... Didn't realise I had them in stock..lol

Thanks Keith, I'm sure the break from work will be brill, more time flying... Taking my hubsan x4 in case I smash 450, don't want any pining not flying... Lol

Graham Lawrie

Keep going Tony:) I have crashed and built more times than I care to remember:)

When I was concerned, someone said to me when I worried about crashing " when you thought about buying a heli you crashed, as you built the heli you crashed, before you maidened the heli you crashed", crashing is all part of the hobby:) unfortunately the bad part, and where most people give up.

We have all thought about it:) but like most things in life, perseverance is necessary to achieve perfection:)

Dirk

Well you see Tony? That mishap just buffed right out.

Build, fly, crash, swear, throw your toys out the cot and curse the heli gods, rebuild again. Wash, rinse, spin, over and over again.

Top Bottom