Micro Blue Tooth and Binding?

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys!
I (somehow) found a Trex T15 at my door,,, (some how) HA! Merry Christmas Rob!! LOL!
Anyway I can't get the my bluetooth to link so I can set the heli for a Spektrum DXMX TX. I do have the sat RX...

I don't have one of those dang smart phones so, I'm trying to use an emulator program for that task.
Is there any hope? Or am I whistling in the dark?
Thanks all......................

RandyDSok

I'd recommend a search for bluetooth compatibility with the version of the emulator you chose to see if there are issues with it or not. I'm uncertain if the emulator reliably can connect all bluetooth devices since it ( bluetooth ) had issues in older model smartphones in some cases.

Speaking of which... which bluetooth your PC uses may and likely does also have a part to play in the reliability... a cheap implementation may be flakey but a better quality one may work well.

Don't you hate those "it depends" answers... lol

Rob Lancaster

I'd recommend a search for bluetooth compatibility with the version of the emulator you chose to see if there are issues with it or not. I'm uncertain if the emulator reliably can connect all bluetooth devices since it ( bluetooth ) had issues in older model smartphones in some cases.

Speaking of which... which bluetooth your PC uses may and likely does also have a part to play in the reliability... a cheap implementation may be flakey but a better quality one may work well.

Don't you hate those "it depends" answers... lol

Ok, here's where I'm at.
I tried at least 3 different emulator downloads. I may get as far as getting the Align T15 logo, but that's it. It's not really installed. I can't get the Bluetooth to talk to the heli. You know, I'll just bet I'm missing something, I always do...

Oh hey, it's been my experience, that it always depends on something, and dis - dat and dah adah ting............. You know? HA! LOL!!! Yes, that's how it's said out here HA!
We're almost there.
Any last-ditch thoughts.

RandyDSok

Any last-ditch thoughts.

Only sort of... If you don't want to get a smartphone... perhaps a decent quality Android Tablet would do. This would let you keep the type of phone you like but still have some features of a smartphone on the tablet minus the dialing of course. I use mine mostly for weather and radar... but it can also connect wirelessly to my DSLR camera if I wish even. Of course you'd want wifi internet at home at the least so you can do updates, install apps etc.

I may get as far as getting the Align T15 logo

You see this logo where? In your emulator, on the TX15 ??????

Rob Lancaster

Only sort of... If you don't want to get a smartphone... perhaps a decent quality Android Tablet would do. This would let you keep the type of phone you like but still have some features of a smartphone on the tablet minus the dialing of course. I use mine mostly for weather and radar... but it can also connect wirelessly to my DSLR camera if I wish even. Of course you'd want wifi internet at home at the least so you can do updates, install apps etc.

You see this logo where? In your emulator, on the TX15 ??????

I see the logo in the emulator download. But clicking on it, just tries to open the app forever and ever.

RandyDSok

I suspect what you are saying is... you downloaded the app in the emulator from the Play Store... then when you ran the app you saw the logo.

I downloaded the app ( yeah, I don't have a T15G, it was just to test and see the screens ) and ran it on my tablet. The very first screen is where you are suppose to agree to the license agreement by clicking on the box in the lower left of the screen which places a checkmark... then you click the button to continue. The next part may differ depending on what version of Android your emulator is running but... on mine ( Android 11 ) it then asks for permissions to access the bluetooth and the media files on my tablet... I answered YES to allow both... next it provided a button to click so it could then search for a bluetooth item to connect with. This is where I could go no farther.

From your very brief description... I don't think you have passed the screen where you must agree to the license agreement.

Rob Lancaster

Hi again Randy.
Hey, I heard from both Align and Amain Hobby today, where I bought that little bugger from. They both insist that a smart phone is required to get the T15G app. There is no PC compatibility. Even with an emulator. Ah ok, it was worth a try. Any-who, I went to Amazon and ordered a real cheap-O smart phone. Amazon product
It has Blue Tooth and WIFI so it should work, right? I guess it's time to learn more about today's smart phone technology. I've been avoiding it, but now, in the words of the emperor, "it is unavoidable".............................
Thanks for the advice on this. I'll let you know if there are any other problems after I get the phone.

RandyDSok

Well... there would be a couple of things that would worry me about a cheap smartphone. First, hopefully you got one that is compatible with your phone provider. Different providers use different protocols and as an example, one that may work with AT&T may or may not also work with Verizon or who ever. Some phones are even locked to a specific provider.

There is always a reason that a smartphone may be cheap... many of which aren't good reasons. Slower processors, limited ram and storage are the least of the problems you could see... reliability is another especially with bluetooth connectivity as I mentioned in my first reply on this subject.

Crosses fingers that none of those issues present any problems even if they are possibilities that do exist and are fairly common with cheap phones.

Rob Lancaster

Looks like I gotta stop drink'n when shopping online, HA! LOL!!
Yeah, I'm going to take your advice and get something decent. So, I canceled that order. Whew! Crisis averted.
Thanks, and I'll keep yah in the loop.

RandyDSok

You can't judge a phone ( or computer or anything really ) by specs alone. The only way to judge them is by using them. Do a Google search on the make/model and see what other reviewers are saying about it and read more than just one or two so you can get a consensus.

Things to consider but not really something I'm concerned with since I have no experience with several things, I'm just bringing them up. There will be no way to tell if the Align app works well or not... or more importantly ( since the app relies on it ) how compatible the bluetooth connections are. This is a T-Mobile phone that is designed and only sold by them so the phone may only work with their network and may not transfer to another provider should you get tired of using their service. I suspect ( I can't emphasis that more ) that it's a budget phone with decent specs that will generally work well but you may have minor issues with some parts of it. Fingerprint readers and cameras are the typical areas that are often skimped on with budget phones. I'd also ask what version of Android they currently have installed ( the webpage didn't list it ) and how many upgrades is the phone planned to get.

A downside to every smartphone I've seen... battery life. You will likely need to charge the phone every day/night or two depending on your usage. Like your RC stuff, battery care and life is similar. Typical battery life is in the 3-5 year range. Don't keep your phone on the charger, it's hard on the battery, so charge it up and take it off when full. I do top mine off every morning to make sure I can get through a busy phone day if I have one.

Google things to note. This is an Android phone and as such, will likely require a Google Account to setup. If you already have one, make sure you know your password. If you don't have one, go ahead and set one up ahead of time ( and don't forget the password ). Once that is setup, you can make your life a little easier by logging into Google on your PC's browser and then go to the Google Contacts to setup all of the people and phone numbers you currently use. You can place friends, family and businesses into their own category ( they call them labels ) and even have them in several categories if you wish. Photo's you take with the phone can also be automatically loaded up to their Google Photo's website for you to access from your PC if you wish ( it is optional ), these are private unless you select to share them. Google Calendar can also be setup so you can access it from the phone or your PC. If you set your contacts birthdays or anniversaries up in the contacts area, they will show on the calendar also... and of course you can set appointments and to-do's up there like most calendars. Google Drive is also available to share other files between your PC and phone if wanted. Bookmarks you have in Chrome ( if you use it and are signed in with your Google account ) can also be accessed from Chrome on the phone if you wish.

Handy Google links... just the ones I mentioned, they have many others.

contacts.google.com
calendar.google.com
photos.google.com
drive.google.com

Google uses Gmail for the email account which you can access from the phone or PC as well.

www.gmail.com

Rob Lancaster

A spy phone with a three-to-five-year battery that can't be replaced. What a racket. No thanks...
Mr. heli flew the coop back to the warehouse.

I'm sure you guys have seen the new Spektrum ix14 transmitter. It can run with a PC. Also, the canopy on the t15 didn't fit on. Shocking for Align! And there was no mention that an adapter would be needed to charge the battery. I made one but still they should've made it known that it's required.
Thanks again for cluing me in Randy...
Maybe I'll try again to find a cool scale Hughes 500D body for my Trex 450 Pro. Hummmmm...........

Rob Lancaster

Wow, a lot of cool scale bodies.
They even have the new replacement for one of my old-time favorite work horses. The Alouette 3. I think the new EC-135 twin turbo shaft should serve well.
I remember the Alouette 3 well when it was used to construct our electrical grid up in the mountains. Very loud and windy near that thing.

Attachments

• Alouette_3_2.jpg
    Alouette_3_2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EC-135.jpg
    EC-135.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0

Rob Lancaster

But wait!
There seems to be another possibility when it comes to the Align T15 type of Heli's.
After a closer look, I see that there's OMP... Correct me if I'm wrong. The OMP M1 EVO is the clone of the Align T15, right??...
Only this heli does not need a smart phone to program it. Just my TX... Right? No mention of it in the manual sooo....
Here's the thing.
If she's a clone, why is she more expensive?? What's up with that!?
What do you guys' think is the angle?

Oh hey! Happy Halloween everyone!

Top Bottom