General Corrective Lenses For Fpv

Heliman450

Hi all,

A friend from my flying club sent me this link:

Optik Fischer - FatShark Lenses

I don't know if I need them yet and will probably try Fat Shark's own before ordering up custom lenses. I see from the list that other makes are available so any tips about alternative goggles to the Fat Shark appreciated before I buy them locally.

Stambo

I made my own for my Fatsharks, cut up the polycarbonate lenses from an old pair of glasses with my dremel.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I don't have fatshark goggles :( but I got a cheap pair of reading glasses from Walmart and took the side arms off and mount them inside my googles. They seem to work fine for me :) I guess what ever it takes to make it work Lol.

Tony

Staff member
I agree with Phil! Stambo, why didn't you share this sooner? lmao. Now I'm thinking about getting a new pair of reading glasses and machining my old pair down to diopter size to fit in my Commanders just to see if I can stop this foggy screen edge issue.

Heliman450

So, I did a quick test using my i-phone with an e-book.

I can read it no problem when it's about 20" from my face, just about the same as a real book. When I put it about 1" from my face I have no chance of reading even with my extremely expensive vari-focal glasses. Without the glasses, using a magnifying glass, I can read with the phone about 2.5" from my face with my right eye and 2" with the left. When I get round to buying the goggles (probably Fat Shark) I will also check out their lenses before ripping into cheap reading glasses with my Dremel :bellyroll:

Tony

Staff member
I would get the goggles first just to see how the lenses inside them do for you. I'm getting more and more far sighted as I age, but I can see the screen in my Commanders just fine. Perfectly clear. All I'm hoping to do with what I mentioned above is to see if I can get a little zoom to help get rid of the cloudy edges due to the lenses being about 2mm too far from my eyes. This happens to almost everyone unless they have a very small nose and their eyes stick out a little farther than mine does lol.

Heliman450

I reckon I've got a few more years of deterioration under my belt than you Tony. I followed the link to a YouTube video and also watched another that appeared at the same time. The chap almost flipped out when he put the goggles on and claimed they are better than his glasses. I don't know how much of his enthusiasm was linked to the company's offer of a 40 Euro rebate for posting a video.

Maybe we'll all be walking around with the goggles rather than glasses in the not too distant future. Seriously, I don't even know whether I'll be going ahead with the goggles at the moment as I'm just enjoying the indoor flying with some club members and testing out some flying skills I lack with the heli by using the quad copter. So far, it's pretty good.

Stambo

I agree with Phil! Stambo, why didn't you share this sooner? lmao. Now I'm thinking about getting a new pair of reading glasses and machining my old pair down to diopter size to fit in my Commanders just to see if I can stop this foggy screen edge issue.

I think I did somewhere but I didn't go in to detail.
What I did was put them on, looked in the mirror and put a dot with a whiteboard marker in the middle of where my eyeball looks through the glasses. I put masking tape on the lenses and transferred that centre mark.
I then put the Fatshark diopters that I tried, (they were useless) centred on the mark and drew a line around them.
Cut that out with a saw blade in the dremel, the hardest part was to cut down the edges to the right shape to fit in the goggles.
You have to give curved lenses a thin straight edge to fit in the slots.

HINT : Wear a dust mask and goggles or safety glasses, I don't know whether that polycarbonate grinding dust is bad for you or not but I wasn't willing to risk it.

Heliman450

Great stuff Stambo! I work on the basis that if it isn't fresh air it's not good to breathe it in so good tip about the mask.

I'm not sure if my Dremel skills are good enough to achieve the best result so will probably dip into my pocket to buy them ready made if the standard Fat Shark lenses don't work for me.

Any other suggestions about a better alternative for the goggles appreciated.

Top Bottom