Cut Off By Another Truck!

Tony

Staff member
I get it, people want to come from all over the world and work here in the US because we have jobs, and we pay more than third world countries. But especially in truck driving, have a little respect for the others on the road!

In this video, I try to pass this truck and dude just slides right over in front of me. I have what is called OnGuard in my truck, and it also has Adaptive Cruise Control. Meaning, when someone does this, and I'm using cruise, it will SLAM on the brakes! Thankfully, I was able to turn off cruise before it did this.

And for all of you 4 wheelers out there, you do the same damn thing to us. Just remember, we are out there, away from out family and friends (we truly have NO friends out there although there is a little comradery) just trying to keep the bills paid and a roof over our head for the very few hours we actually get to lay in our own bed. Just have a little respect for us, please!

callsign4223

Staff member
What do you think of the adaptive cruise control? There are times I would love to have it, and others times I worry it would make me an even lazier driver.

Tony

Staff member
I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!!! If you don't care how fast you want to get to your stop, then I guess it would be good. At 600' it register's the vehicle in front of you, at 500', it start to slow you down. You normally get to about 150' from the vehicle before you pull out to pass because if you don't, people will pass you on the right, cutting you off in the process. I'm talking less than 30' distance at 70mph. If, under 300' you let off the throttle, it will SLAM on the brakes and back up up to 500' minimum. But then we are heavy and just lost all of our speed so now we are screwed.

So yea, I can live without it. I'm actually asking for an older truck without this damn thing on it. The new trucks not only have OnGuard with adaptive cruise control, but they also have lane departure so it signals a very loud beep any time you get close to a line. I don't need damn electronics to tell me how to drive after almost 20 years of doing so without a wreck.

Geena

Staff member
I never got why anyone would cut off a big truck...especially in a car. All they are doing is taking up the distance you were trying to keep to be able to safely stop the truck. I see it all the time though.

callsign4223

Staff member
Because a lot of folks who have only driven passenger vehicles cannot comprehend what it actually takes to stop that much mass. They have an intellectual understanding that it takes trucks longer to stop, but they have no actual experience with it so they can't comprehend what it really means.

Top Bottom