Projects Dereks imagination is running wild again

Derek

I'm curious. How could I take an 18v Black & Decker cordless leaf blower and make it have variable speeds?

Any thoughts?

Stambo

It will be brushed DC so a 6s brushed ESC should do it. (If you can find one)
You would have to check the motor for amperage or watts.
Then you would need something to drive the ESC, either an RX or a servo tester.

What are you thinking to build now, snow blower?? :)

Derek

well, I don't want to unveil what my thought is quite yet, lol. I'm going to need to run the leaf blower motor from my DX8...at least I hope this idea will work. I think it will...just not sure how to run the leaf blower from my DX8 with variable speeds because the leaf blowers are either on or off and some have two "on" speeds. If it would be possible to hook up an ESC to the leaf blower, I'd be in good shape.

pvolcko

As Stambo said and Gerald linked, a brushed motor speed controller is the ticket. You may find you need to play games with your throttle curve. Also before ordering the controller take apart the blower and try to determine the motor specs. They should either be on the motor itself or try to grab some numbers off it and look it up on the world wide web (that's right, living in the early 90's here). Make sure you get current draw information so you get the properly sized speed controller.

Derek

As Stambo said and Gerald linked, a brushed motor speed controller is the ticket. You may find you need to play games with your throttle curve. Also before ordering the controller take apart the blower and try to determine the motor specs. They should either be on the motor itself or try to grab some numbers off it and look it up on the world wide web (that's right, living in the early 90's here). Make sure you get current draw information so you get the properly sized speed controller.

That sounds good guys. Thank you!

Lee

Electric wheel chairs must use a speed controller of some sort. May be you can find an old wrecked one for parts.

Top Bottom