Digital pitch gauge

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I was watching the digital pitch gauge video that Tony made on you tube. Great job on the video. I learned how to calibrate pitch gauge before putting it on the blade first. I was putting it on the blade first then calibrate. I learn something new everyday. I like to know how far down/up do you put your pitch gauge on your blade? I put mine pitch gauge about 2" from the end of the blade . Some say the middle of the blade. Is there a proper place to put the gauge on the blade? Thanks

bbj

Don't forget to do the full calibration of the pitch gage first before doing the zero part for your pitch measurements. I followed the instructions that came with the gage so the gage actually knows what is zero, orientation, etc. I assume we need to do this every time a new battery is put into the gage.

trainrider06

I was watching the digital pitch gauge video that Tony made on you tube. Great job on the video. I learned how to calibrate pitch gauge before putting it on the blade first. I was putting it on the blade first then calibrate. I learn something new everyday. I like to know how far down/up do you put your pitch gauge on your blade? I put mine pitch gauge about 2" from the end of the blade . Some say the middle of the blade. Is there a proper place to put the gauge on the blade? Thanks

I put mine about 2-3 inches back also D.O.G.

Admiral

I normally put mine about half way, I don't think it matters as long as you are the same on both blades, my gauge also has the facility to remove the blade and attach it directly to the blade grip.

Slobberdog

The best thing I ever done was get a Soko guage, attaches to the blades grip on its own base, never have an issue with calibrating the guage as it has an absolute zero reading,

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's what i do. My surface that my helis sit on is a level platform, Kinda like murankar made, then i put the gauge on the blade without zeroing out. I'm reading most of the time 0.7 on the gauge, which is close to zero, then i zero out before i get ready to get my 6 degree with the blue light on "AR7200BX" after that i can get my 12+/12- degree to finish up. The gauge sits about 2" from the end "like Trainrider" and that seems to work for me.

trainrider06

The best thing I ever done was get a Soko guage, attaches to the blades grip on its own base, never have an issue with calibrating the guage as it has an absolute zero reading,

Have always wondered about those, look kinda confusing to use though...I imagine once you do it, then it's
easy...

- - - Updated - - -

I normally put mine about half way, I don't think it matters as long as you are the same on both blades, my gauge also has the facility to remove the blade and attach it directly to the blade grip.

What kind of gauge do you use?

Tony

Staff member
I put it towards the root of the blade. That way the blade is not sitting there bouncing around cause of the weight on it.

Derek

I like putting the pitch gauge near the root of the blade, just as Tony mentioned. It's a lot more solid at the position versus near the tip. I've also been in the habit of using the non-digital pitch gauge. I picked up an Align Pitch gauge here:

Align Pitch Gauge - Trex 450FL

This will screw into the top of the head, where the stopper button is. Run a flybar, or similar rod through the pitch gauge and then use the dial pitch gauge to set the pitch. No doubt the digital pitch gauge works, I've just found that the dial gauge works better and easier for me.

My digital pitch gauge is just sitting in a box, waiting for me to either use it or sell it.

murankar

Staff member
I like to get it as close to the blade grip as possible. Thus will reduce any error induced by the blades not being completely straight out.

Make sure to teach your pitch gauge what true zero is before use. RC logger suggests resting zero prior to use even though the gauges are pre calibrated.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom