Batteries Disposal Of Lipo Batteries

Eggy 71

hi guys,
It's been awhile since I've been around. Things change and life gets busy. I'm finally getting some time to get back to flying. I've only flown a couple of my smaller helis in the last year. Finally time to get serious. I've got a couple flights in this week, good to get back in the 'pilot's seat'.
I've got a question or two regarding lipos. I've had them with a storage charge for more than a year. They all came out of hibernation quite well except for one 6s 5000 mah. It still looks perfect but It's at least 4-5 years old and had many charges on it. 5 of the cells still have a good charge on them but #3 cell shows 0.0v (absolutely no voltage). I can't see any broken wire on the balancing lead. My questions are this:

I'm sure it's done but is there any other checks I can do to confirm it's toast? (It is a $140+ battery)
What's the best way to discharge what's left in the pack?

Tony

Staff member
You can check the cells under the shrink wrap. Just don't go pokin' too much, those things poke back.

And to dispose of them, just discharge the pack all the way down then dead short it together. From there, it's safe to just toss in the trash.

Brick

what is going to happen when you "dead short" it ? I have a few I need to dispose of as well

Tony

Staff member
First thing you need to do is discharge them as far as you can. If you dead short a lithium battery with a charge in it, it can explode, catch fire or severely puff and let out some horrible smelling fumes. But, if you connect it up to a brushed motor and just let it run, or even just a car headlight or the like, it will discharge it as far as you can. From there, once it quits spinning or glowing, connect the two terminals, make sure it's not getting hot and then just toss it. Preferably in an outdoor trashcan.

Brick

First thing you need to do is discharge them as far as you can. If you dead short a lithium battery with a charge in it, it can explode, catch fire or severely puff and let out some horrible smelling fumes. But, if you connect it up to a brushed motor and just let it run, or even just a car headlight or the like, it will discharge it as far as you can. From there, once it quits spinning or glowing, connect the two terminals, make sure it's not getting hot and then just toss it. Preferably in an outdoor trashcan.

thanks man, that's easy !

Geena

Staff member
My local batteries plus has always taken my old packs, as long as I cut the connectors off and put heat shrink on the wires.

Tony

Staff member
My local batteries plus has always taken my old packs, as long as I cut the connectors off and put heat shrink on the wires.
If you have that option near you, it is definitely a great option. My nearest battery store is about 30 minutes away and I don't get up to town that often.

Top Bottom