Batteries Dodgy Lipo connections

Blade 400

Just had some great flights and whilst it was mostly the best yet (especially now I`m free of training gear) I nearly came a cropper! I realise that one of the issues is my own fault but the other isn`t and I would appreciate advice on it please?

1. A year ago I got a really good deal on Lipo`s from HobbyKing but they had a different connection to my Blade 400 Heli. I didn`t realise adaptors were available then and saw a thread on Youtube that explained how to modify the connector on the Heli by cutting out the centre plastic region to fit the different battery connection. It`s been fine for a year but has now got sloppy and It was lucky that I was flying close to the ground when I experienced loss of power.

2. On a second Heli the Deans adaptor that I have recently purchased is sloppy (male to female) no puns please ;) Is there anything I can do to tighten the connection or do I need to replace them. My soldering skills are limited :(

Thanks

EDIT: I just managed to improve the connection in point 1 by using shrink wrap and I fixed point 2 by pushing a flat bladed screwdriver into the female deans connector and managed to tweak the contacts enough so that its now a tighter fit on the male deans connector :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
IMO, change all of your connections to that which you like. I was and still am, a huge Dean's Plug user. I love Dean's Plugs, however, because of their design, they do loosen over time. The fix is to bend the silver spring part of the plug so it has a tighter fit, but you can only do this so many times.

Because of this, I have started leaning to the XT line of connectors. XT30's for the small guys, XT60 for the medium guys and XT90's for the big guys, which I do not own. These are fantastic connectors and work great and are easy to plug in and take apart.

The other line that is very popular is the EC line of connectors. Same sizing as before, (EC3, EC5 and so on), and these are super simple to solder. When you get them, the will be in 3 pieces, the plastic body, the positive connector and the negative connector. These are just bullet ends. You solder the ends onto the wires, then pop them into the plastic housing. Very good for those with limited soldering skills as you cannot melt plastic if there is no plastic to melt.

Speaking of soldering, I do have some videos on soldering connectors. I will post my most recent where I did a battery connectors on some little quad batteries.

And here is a video about cold solder joints from the factory

And for giggles, this is my first soldering video

Blade 400

IMO, change all of your connections to that which you like. I was and still am, a huge Dean's Plug user. I love Dean's Plugs, however, because of their design, they do loosen over time. The fix is to bend the silver spring part of the plug so it has a tighter fit, but you can only do this so many times.

Because of this, I have started leaning to the XT line of connectors. XT30's for the small guys, XT60 for the medium guys and XT90's for the big guys, which I do not own. These are fantastic connectors and work great and are easy to plug in and take apart.

The other line that is very popular is the EC line of connectors. Same sizing as before, (EC3, EC5 and so on), and these are super simple to solder. When you get them, the will be in 3 pieces, the plastic body, the positive connector and the negative connector. These are just bullet ends. You solder the ends onto the wires, then pop them into the plastic housing. Very good for those with limited soldering skills as you cannot melt plastic if there is no plastic to melt.

Speaking of soldering, I do have some videos on soldering connectors. I will post my most recent where I did a battery connectors on some little quad batteries.

And here is a video about cold solder joints from the factory

And for giggles, this is my first soldering video
Thanks very much Tony, these are just what I needed :thumbsup:

Top Bottom